PSPChord - A Novel Fault Tolerance Approach for P2P Overlay Network
In this paper, we propose a novel approach called PSPChord to provide efficient fault tolerance solution for Chord-based P2P overlay networks. In our proposal, the successor list is removed, instead, we design the partition-based data replication and modify finger tables. While the partition strategy is used to distribute data replicas evenly on Chord ring to reduce and balance the cost of lookup request, the finger table is added links to successor and predecessor of neighboring nodes to pass over faulty nodes. By simulating, our experiments already showed the performance of PSPChord as compared with original Chord in resolving fault tolerance problem on P2P overlay network.
KeywordsChord Peer-to-peer Overlay network Fault tolerance Data replication Lookup Partition
This research is supported by projects: the Vietnamese MOET’s “Research and development of software framework to integrate IoT gateways for fog computing deployed on multi-cloud environment”, the Slovak VEGA 2/0167/16 “Methods and algorithms for the semantic processing of Big Data in distributed computing environment” and the Slovak APVV-17-0619 U-COMP “Urgent Computing for Exascale Data”.
- 1.Bin, D., Furong, W., Ma, J., Jian, L.: Enhanced chord-based routing protocol using neighbors’ neighbors links. In: 2008 22nd International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications-Workshops. AINAW 2008, pp. 463–466. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Chao, F., Zhang, H., Du, X., Zhang, C.: Improvement of structured P2P routing algorithm based on NN-CHORD. In: 2011 7th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Dabek, F., et al.: Building peer-to-peer systems with Chord, a distributed lookup service. In: Proceedings Eighth Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, pp. 81–86, May 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/HOTOS.2001.990065
- 5.Dearle, A., Kirby, G., Norcross, S.: Hosting byzantine fault tolerant services on a Chord ring. arXiv preprint arXiv:1006.3465 (2010)
- 6.DeCandia, G., et al.: Dynamo: amazon’s highly available key-value store. In: ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 41, pp. 205–220. ACM (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, J., Yang, S., Guo, L.: A bidirectional query Chord system based on latency-sensitivity. In: null, pp. 164–167. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar