IoT Framework for Interworking and Autonomous Interaction Between Heterogeneous IoT Platforms
The IoT (Internet of Things) connects with various devices over the Internet and provides a high-level service by interacting between devices. However, heterogeneous characteristics such as communication protocols and message types limit the scope of interaction between IoT platforms. To solve the problem of the fragmented IoT market, the oneM2M global initiative defined a horizontal M2M service layer. Since conventional platforms work based on syntax data, servers and gateways do not understand the meaning of exchanged data. Semantic Web technologies which give meaning to information has been studied in many fields to realize platform understand the data. In this paper, we propose an IoT framework that is based on the oneM2M standard to ensures the interoperability of heterogeneous IoT platform. In addition, the proposed framework interacts autonomously with all objects by applying semantic Web technologies. All data generated by connected device and sensor are described as semantic data. The platform understands the data based on the ontology and performs the autonomous interaction. Users manage rules and devices via the Web client’s management interface. Finally, interoperability evaluation is presented through an experiment of interworking and rule-based interaction between heterogeneous platform devices in real IoT environment.
KeywordsoneM2M global initiative Semantic web technologies Ontology Interoperability Autonomous interaction
This work was supported by Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion (IITP) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIT) (No. 2017-0-00167, Development of Human Implicit/Explicit Intention Recognition Technologies for Autonomous Human-Things Interaction).
- 1.Desia, P., Sheth, A., Anantharam, P.: Semantic gateway as a service architecture for IoT interoperability. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Mobile Service, pp. 313–319, July 2015Google Scholar
- 3.The RDF Document. https://www.w3.org/standards/techs/rdf#w3c_all
- 4.oneM2M-TS-0001. “oneM2M Functional Architecture Technical Specification,” v3.12.0, July 2018Google Scholar
- 7.OWL 2 Web Ontology Language Primer. https://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-primer/
- 8.RDF Schema. https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/
- 9.oneM2M Base Ontology. http://www.onem2m.org/technical/onem2m-ontologies
- 11.Jena Framework. https://jena.apache.org/index.html