Incorporation of Silver Nanoparticles in Zinc Oxide Matrix in Polyester Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE-E) Aiming Antibacterial Activity
The purpose of present study is to evaluate the antimicrobial potential of Thermoplastic Polyester Elastomer (TPE-E) incorporated with zinc oxide added with colloidal dispersion of metallic silver adsorbed on pyrogenic silica (AgNPs_ZnO). A combination of single screw extruder and hot press technique was used to fabricate these polymer nanocomposite films. These polymer nanocomposite films were prepared by mechanical mixing of 1% (w/w) of oil, anti-oxidant 0.05% (w/w), TPE-E granules 0.5% (w/w) and followed by single screw extruder to produce the pellets. As-prepared pellets were further melted for films in hot press technique. Antimicrobial activity was evaluated according to Japan Industrial Standard—JIS Z 2801 in TPE-E compounds against Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) and Escherichia coli (E. coli). TPE-E samples containing additives 0.05 and 0.5% AgNPs_ZnO presented 75 and 93% bactericidal reduction for Gram-negative bacteria Escherichia coli (E. coli) and 76 and 92% bactericidal activity reduction for Gram-positive bacteria Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), respectively.
KeywordsAgNPs Antimicrobial activity TPE-E Characterization
The authors are thankful to CCTM/IPEN for the TEM images, to the Mr. Eleosmar Gaspar for the DSC and TGA analysis, and Vinicius Juvino dos Santos and Camilla Bassetti for the extrusion experiments. To project CAPES 08881068030/2014-10.
- 3.Kumar R, Münstedt H (2005) Silver ion release from antimicrobial polyamide/silver composites. Biomaterials 2081–2088Google Scholar
- 4.Becaro AA, Puti FC, Correa DS, Paris EC, Marconcini JM, Ferreira MD (2018) Characterization and antibacterial properties of nanosilver-applied polyethylene and polypropylene composite films for food packaging applications. Food Biosci 83–90Google Scholar
- 5.Oliani WL, Parra DF, Komatsu LGH, Lincopan N, Rangari VK, Lugao AB (2016) Fabrication of gamma-irradiated polypropylene and AgNPs nanocomposite films and their antimicrobial activity. In: TMS annual meeting, pp 143–150Google Scholar
- 7.Triebel C, Vasylyev S, Damm C, Stará H, Özpinar C, Hausmann S, Peukert W, Münstedt H (2011) Polyurethane/silver-nanocomposites with enhanced silver ion release using multifunctional invertible polyesters. J Mater Chem 4377Google Scholar
- 8.Tomacheski D, Pittol M, Ribeiro VF, Santana RMC (2016) Efficiency of silver-based antibacterial additives and its influence in thermoplastic elastomers. J Appl Polym SciGoogle Scholar