Electron Beam Effect on the Thermal and Mechanical Properties Analysis of DGEBA/EPDM Compound
The aim of this work is to obtain, characterize and irradiate the DGEBA/EPDM compound and compare their thermal and mechanical properties with a non-irradiated DGEBA/EPDM compound. The DGEBA/EPDM compound may be used to cover other materials such as polymers and protect them against high thermal conditions and mechanical effort. The compounds have 0.0, 25.0 and 50.0 wt% of DGEBA. In addition, the compounds were irradiated at 30 and 60 kGy at a dose rate 22.41 kGy/s. The thermal properties (DMA and TGA) and mechanical analysis (tensile strength and elongation at break) were performed. In conclusion, the irradiated DGEBA/EPDM compounds may be used for several applications due to the improvement in their mechanical and thermal properties. Their properties are satisfactory for application that requires stronger material.
KeywordsDGEBA Thermal properties Electron beam
The authors acknowledge Indústrias Ésper, Presbyterian Mackenzie University and IPEN from São Paulo, Brazil jointly supported this project. The authors thank the professional of the Indústrias Ésper, Fábio Ésper for the given up samples of EPDM, to the technician, and Abner Cabral Neto, of the Laboratory of Tests and Characterization of Materials of the Presbyterian University Mackenzie, for the support to obtain and characterize the samples of this work.
- 2.Easterbrook EK, Allen RD (1987) Rubber technology, 3rd edn. Springer, USGoogle Scholar
- 3.Evora MCC. Gonçalez OL, Dutra RCL, Diniz MF, Wiebeck H, Andrade e Silva LG (2002) Comparação de Técnicas FTIR de Transmissão, Reflexão e Fotoacústica na Análise de Poliamida-6, Reciclada e Irradiada. Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia 12(1):60–68Google Scholar
- 7.Canevarolo Junior SV (2002) Ciência dos polímeros: um texto básico para tecnólogos e engenheiros, 1ª ed. Ed. Artliber, São PauloGoogle Scholar
- 8.Scagliusi SR, Cardoso EVL, Zaharescu T, Lugão AB (2016) Influence of gamma radiation on EPDM compounds properties for use in nuclear plants. Am Inst Phys 80015-1–80015-5Google Scholar
- 9.Dodiuk H, Goodman SH (2014) Handbook of thermoset plastics, 3rd edn. PDL handbook seriesGoogle Scholar