Comparative Analysis of Dynamic Impact Tests Between the Charpy V-Notch Test and the Drop Tower Test
The purpose of this study was to implement dynamic loading under the standardised testing conditions of the Charpy test (AS 1544.2-2017) using a drop tower testing equipment. The results were compared to Charpy tests via statistics and cumulative data generation. The study shows that the drop tower reveals the instantaneous rate of deformation, yield points, peak and mean forces during the transfer of impact energy, failure load and effects on all the aforementioned factors upon changing strain rate. These results provide a more comprehensive insight into internal material properties such as the crystal structure and trends such as the ductile to brittle transition of steel.
KeywordsDrop tower Ductile–Brittle transition Impact energy
A special thanks to Ben Loftus, who helped in the manufacture of the mild steel plate required for testing.
- 1.Huang J (2004) Microstructural effect on the ductile-to-brittle transition in body centered cubic metals investigation by three dimensional dislocation dynamics simulations. Thesis for doctor of philosophy in mechanical and aerospace engineeringGoogle Scholar
- 2.Islam MA, Hazel P, Escobedo J, Kader M, Saadatfar M, Brown A (2017) Low-velocity impact behaviour of closed-cell metallic foams with various shaped impactorsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Nevill GE (1957) Effect of vibrations on the yield strength of a low carbon steel. A thesis submitted to the faculty in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Science in mechanical engineeringGoogle Scholar
- 4.Rinebolt JA, Harris W (1920) Effect of alloying elements on notch toughness of pearlitic steels. Trans Am Soc MetGoogle Scholar
- 5.Rossoll A, Berdin C, Forget P, Prioul C, Marini B (1998) Mechanical aspects of the Charpy impact testGoogle Scholar
- 6.Shackelford JF (2009) Mechanical behaviour. In Shackelford JF (ed) Introduction to materials science for engineers. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, pp 174–181Google Scholar
- 7.Sahraoui S, Mahi AE, Castagnede B (2009) Measurement of the dynamic fracture toughness with notched PMMA specimen under impact loadingGoogle Scholar
- 8.Standards Australia (2017) AS 1544.2-2017: method for impact tests on metals: Part 2: Charpy V—notch testGoogle Scholar
- 9.Tanguy B, Besson J, Piques R, Pineau A (2004) Ductile to brittle transition of an A508 steel characterised by Charpy impact test Part I: experimental resultsGoogle Scholar
- 10.UNSW Canberra (2017) Impact Dynamics Lab—Drop Tower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okuN0zhfco