Comic Text Detection Using Neural Network Approach
Text is a crucial element in comic books; hence text detection is a significant challenge in an endeavour to achieve comic processing. In this work, we study in what extent an off-the-shelf neural network approach for scene text detection can be used to perform comic text detection. Experiment on a public data set shows that such an approach allows to perform as well as methods of the literature, which is promising for building more accurate comic text detector in the future.
KeywordsComic understanding Text detection Neural networks
The authors would like to thank the curators of the eBDtheque data set, along with the authors of the data set’s comics, for allowing us to use their works. This research was partially supported by MEXT-Japan (Grant No. 17H06100).
- 1.Aramaki, Y., Matsui, Y., Yamasaki, T., Aizawa, K.: Text detection in manga by combining connected-component-based and region-based classifications, pp. 2901–2905 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Gomez, R., et al.: ICDAR 2017 robust reading challenge on coco-text. In: International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 1435–1443 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Guérin, C., et al.: eBDtheque: a representative database of comics, pp. 1145–1149 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, L., Wang, Y., Tang, Z., Lu, X., Gao, L.: Unsupervised speech text localization in comic images, pp. 1190–1194(2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Liao, M., Shi, B., Bai, X.: Textboxes++: a single-shot oriented scene text detector. CoRR abs/1801.02765 (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Liu, X., Liang, D., Yan, S., Chen, D., Qiao, Y., Yan, J.: FOTS: fast oriented text spotting with a unified network. CoRR abs/1801.01671 (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.All Japan Magazine and Book Publisher’s and Editor’s Association: Report on printed and digital comics’ market. http://www.ajpea.or.jp/book/2-1702/index.html (2017). Accessed 31 Aug 2018
- 9.Rigaud, C., Karatzas, D., Van de Weijer, J., Burie, J.C., Ogier, J.M.: Automatic text localisation in scanned comic books. In: International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Su, C., Chang, R., Liu, J.: Recognizing text elements for SVG comic compression and its novel applications, pp. 1329–1333 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Tolle, H., Arai, K.: Method for real time text extraction of digital manga comic. Int. J. Image Process., 669–676 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Yamada, M., Budiarto, R., Endo, M., Miyazaki, S.: Comic image decomposition for reading comics on cellular phones. IEICE Trans. Inf. Syst., 1370–1376 (2004). No. 6Google Scholar
- 14.Zhou, X., et al.: EAST: an efficient and accurate scene text detector. CoRR abs/1704.03155 (2017)Google Scholar