Short Paper: Stress-SGX: Load and Stress Your Enclaves for Fun and Profit
- 206 Downloads
The latest generation of Intel processors supports Software Guard Extensions (SGX), a set of instructions that implements a Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) right inside the CPU, by means of so-called enclaves. This paper presents Stress-SGX, an easy-to-use stress-test tool to evaluate the performance of SGX-enabled nodes. We build on top of the popular Stress-ng tool, while only keeping the workload injectors (stressors) that are meaningful in the SGX context. We report on several insights and lessons learned about porting legacy code to run inside an SGX enclave, as well as the limitations introduced by this process. Finally, we use Stress-SGX to conduct a study comparing the performance of different SGX-enabled machines.
KeywordsIntel SGX Load Stress Benchmark
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the LEGaTO Project (legato-project.eu), grant agreement No. 780681.
- 1.Bourdon, A., Noureddine, A., Rouvoy, R., Seinturier, L.: PowerAPI: a software library to monitor the energy consumed at the process-level. ERCIM News 92, 43–44 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Cortez, E., Bonde, A., Muzio, A., Russinovich, M., Fontoura, M., Bianchini, R.: Resource central: understanding and predicting workloads for improved resource management in large cloud platforms. In: SOSP 2017, pp. 153–167 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Intel Corporation: Intel Software Guard Extensions SDK Developer Reference for Linux OS, November 2017. https://frama.link/sgx20
- 4.King, C.I.: Stress-ng. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~cking/stress-ng/
- 5.Kocher, P., et al.: Spectre attacks: exploiting speculative execution. arXiv preprint arXiv:1801.01203 (2018)
- 6.Orenbach, M., Lifshits, P., Minkin, M., Silberstein, M.: Eleos: ExitLess OS services for SGX enclaves. In: EuroSys 2017, pp. 238–253 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Wilkes, J.: More Google cluster data. Google research blog, November 2011. http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2011/11/more-google-cluster-data.html