Experimental Analysis of 5 GHz WiFi and UHF-TVWS Hybrid Wireless Mesh Network Back-Haul Links
This paper reports on the experimental analysis of hybrid back-haul links comprising WiFi operating in the 5 GHz and Ultra High Frequency Television White Space bands. Possible link permutations are highlighted. Performance results show that overall network optimisation requires a combination of frequency division and time division duplexing.
KeywordsMulti-radio Dynamic spectrum access TV white space Wireless mesh network 5 GHz WiFi
The authors would like to thank Dr. Albert A. Lysko from CSIR Meraka Institute and Dr. David Erwin from Mathematics Department at UCT. Dr. Lysko provided expert RF advice on the experimental setup, interpretation of results and multiple other useful resources, and logistical support. Dr. Erwin contributed Graph Theory insight that was helpful in deriving a generalised expression in Sect. 4. This work was funded in part by the Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) scholarship award.
- 1.Saldana Ed. J., et al.: Alternative Network Deployments: Taxonomy, Characterization, Technologies, and Architectures (2016). https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7962
- 2.Cerdà-Alabern, L., Neumann, A., Escrich, P.: Experimental evaluation of a wireless community mesh network. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems, MSWiM 2013, New York, NY, USA, pp. 23–30. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Cui, P., Dong, Y., Liu, H., Rajan, D., Olinick, E., Camp, J.: WhiteMesh: leveraging white spaces in wireless mesh networks. In: 2016 14th International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks (WiOpt), pp. 1–7, May 2016Google Scholar
- 5.Khalil, M., Qadir, J., Onireti, O., Imran, M.A., Younis, S.: Feasibility, architecture and cost considerations of using TVWS for rural internet access in 5G. In: 2017 20th Conference on Innovations in Clouds, Internet and Networks (ICIN), pp. 23–30, March 2017Google Scholar
- 6.Simić, L., Petrova, M., Mähönen, P.: Wi-Fi, but not on steroids: performance analysis of a Wi-Fi-like network operating in TVWS under realistic conditions. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 1533–1538, June 2012Google Scholar
- 8.Open-Mesh: Multi-link Optimizations, January 2013. https://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batman-adv/wiki/Multi-link-optimize