Overlapping Communities in Bipartite Graphs
Community detection in bipartite networks with overlapping communities carries difficult problems when it comes to complex network analysis. In this paper, we propose a new model for generating such graphs. We combine several approaches based on stochastic block models using edge probabilities following the Poisson distribution. The proposed model can be reduced into their original model versions, such as a model for a bipartite graph with non-overlapping communities only. We present results of the generator. Its performance is evaluated using several known community detection techniques. The evaluation criterion assesses both a community’s identification and their overlaps.
KeywordsStochastic block model Bipartite graph Overlapping communities Graph generator
Sponsored by the project for GAČR, No. 16-072105: Complex network methods applied to ancient Egyptian data in the Old Kingdom (2700–2180 BC).
- 1.Ball, B., Karrer, B., Newman, M.E.J.: An efficient and principled method for detecting communities in networks. CoRR abs/1104.3590 (2011). http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.3590
- 2.Bastian, M., Heymann, S., Jacomy, M.: Gephi: an open source software for exploring and manipulating networks (2009). http://www.aaai.org/ocs/index.php/ICWSM/09/paper/view/154
- 4.Du, N., Wang, B., Wu, B., Wang, Y.: Overlapping community detection in bipartite networks. In: 2008 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, vol. 1, pp. 176–179 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/WIIAT.2008.98
- 5.Dulíková, V.: The reign of king Nyuserre and its impact on the development of the Egyptian state. A multiplier effect period during the Old Kingdom. Ph.D. thesis, Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Arts, Czech Institute of Egyptology (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Heeger, D.: Poisson model of spike generation (2000). http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/handouts/poisson.pdf
- 11.Larremore, D.B., Clauset, A., Jacobs, A.Z.: Efficiently inferring community structure in bipartite networks. CoRR abs/1403.2933 (2014). http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.2933
- 12.Lehmann, S., Schwartz, M., Hansen, L.K.: Biclique communities. Phys. Rev. E 78, 016,108 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.78.016108. https://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevE.78.016108
- 14.Yan, X., et al.: Model selection for degree-corrected block models. J. Stat. Mech. Theory Exp. 2014(5), P05,007 (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Yang, J., Leskovec, J.: Overlapping community detection at scale: a nonnegative matrix factorization approach. In: Proceedings of the Sixth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, pp. 587–596. ACM (2013)Google Scholar