Outline of Military Culture and Military and VA Health Systems
This chapter covers the basic issues of military and veteran competence for providers, including a simple understanding of military culture. It then describes the basics of administrative separations, the disability system, the military and veteran’s affairs health-care systems, and transitions to care.
KeywordsVeterans Psychiatry PTSD Cultural competence Medical boards Administrative separation
- 1.Ritchie EC. The DoD and VA health care system overview. In: Cozza S, Goldenberg M, editors. Clinical manual for the care of military service members, veterans and their families. APPI; Feb 2014.Google Scholar
- 3.Camp NM US Army psychiatry in the Vietnam War: new challenges in extended counterinsurgency warfare. Borden Institute; 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.Army regulation 635–200 personnel separations active duty enlisted administrative separations, 6 Sept 2011. Available on the web at http://www.ansbach.army.mil/documents/RetVetAR635-200EnlSep.pdf.
- 5.https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/. Accessed May 15, 2018.
- 6.https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2923. Accessed May 15 2018.
- 7.Tanielian T, Farris C, Batka C, Farmer CM, Robinson E, Engel CC, Robbins M, Jaycox LH Ready to serve: community-based provider capacity to deliver culturally competent, quality mental health care to veterans and their families. Santa Monica: RAND Corporation, 2014. https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR806.html. Also available in print form.
- 8.Tanielian T, Farmer CM, Burns RM, Duffy EL, Setodji CM. Ready or not? Assessing the capacity of New York state health care providers to meet the needs of veterans. Santa Monica: RAND Corporation, 2018. https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2298.html. Also available in print form.