Efficient Searching Over Encrypted Database: Methodology and Algorithms
Database encryption is a process in which the data stored in the database are converted from plaintext (PT) to ciphertext (CT). The original data can be retrieved from the ciphertext with the help of a predefined key and a decryption scheme. This way, only the appropriate authority that has the key can access the data. Thus, encrypted databases help ensure data confidentiality and avoid data leaks. In this paper, we will describe a modification to the Secure K-Nearest Neighbours (SkNN)  technique to construct an encrypted database system. We briefly discuss some of the existing encryption models and the principles involved in their construction and look at some of the issues that plague these models. The motivation behind this paper is to devise a method that allows for strong database encryption, while at the same time facilitating efficient search over the encrypted data. In order to achieve this, we suggest an approach which combines RSA with the SkNN scheme.
KeywordsDatabase encryption Secure K-nearest neighbours (SkNN) RSA
This work is partially supported by Early Career Research Award from Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India, New Delhi, India (Project Number: ECR/2015/000256).
- 1.Poddar, R., Popa, R., Boelter, T.: Arx: a strongly encrypted database system. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive, p. 20 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Khatib, K., Guennoun, M., Gahi, Y.: A secure database system using homomorphic encryption schemes. In: The Third International Conference on Advances in Databases, Knowledge, and Data Applications, p. 5 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Garay, J., Curtmola, R., Ostrovsky, R., Kamara, S.: Searchable symmetric encryption: improved definitions and efficient constructions. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 79–88 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Cash, D., et al.: Dynamic searchable encryption in very-large databases: data structures and implementation. Cryptology ePrint Archive, p. 16 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Perrig, A., Song, D., Wagner, D.: Practical techniques for searches on encrypted data. In: Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, SP 2000, p. 12 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Bony, C., Paul, C., Peter, C., Yu-Kwong, K.: CypherDB: a novel architecture for outsourcing secure database processing. IEEE Trans. Cloud Comput. 14 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Elmehdwi, Y., Samanthula, B.K., Jiang, W.: Secure k-nearest neighbor query over encrypted data in outsourced environments. In: 2014 IEEE 30th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), pp. 664–675. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Popa, R.A., Redfield, C., Zeldovich, N., Balakrishnan, H.: CryptDB: protecting confidentiality with encrypted query processing. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Third ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, pp. 85–100. ACM (2011)Google Scholar