Exploring the Effect of Experience on Team Behavior: A Computational Approach
The paper presents the results of research aimed at contributing to a better understanding of the effect of team experience and learning on the performance of a design team. An agent-based model of the design team was developed, and computational simulations were utilized to study how agent’s knowledge changes by its use and what are the effects of such changes on the team behavior.
This paper reports on work funded by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia, and Croatian Science Foundation MInMED project (www.minmed.org). This research is supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation to the third author under Grant CMMI‐1400466. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
- 6.Maher ML, Gero JS (2002) Agent models of 3D virtual worlds. In: ACADIA 2002: thresholds, pp 127–138. California State Polytechnic University, PamonaGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kahneman D (2011) Thinking, fast and slow. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, NYGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gero JS (2017) Whither design theory and methods? Back to the future: the next 50 years, ANZAScA, pp 563–572Google Scholar
- 11.Akgun AE, Lynn GS (2002) Antecedents and consequences of learning in new product development teams. J Eng Technol Manage 5:57–72Google Scholar
- 12.Gruenfeld DH, Fan ET (1999) What newcomers see and what oldtimers say: discontinuities in knowledge exchange. In: Shared cognition in organizations: the management of knowledge, pp 245–268. Lawrence Erlbaum, MahwahGoogle Scholar
- 13.Levine JM, Moreland RL (1999) Knowledge transmission in work groups: helping newcomers succeed. In: Shared cognition in organizations: the management of knowledge, pp 267–296. Lawrence Erlbaum, MahwahGoogle Scholar
- 16.Hirst G (2009) Effects of membership change on open discussion and team performance: the moderating role of team tenure. EJWOP 18:231–249Google Scholar
- 19.Ambler NP (2015) Design in the modern age: investigating the role of complexity on the performance of collaborative engineering design teams. Ph.D. Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 21.Kannengiesser U, Gero JS (2004) Modelling expertise of temporary design teams. J Des Res 4:1–13Google Scholar
- 22.Sosa R, Gero JS (2013) The creative values of bad ideas. Proc CAADRIA 2013:853–862Google Scholar
- 24.Perisic MM, Storga M, Gero JS (2017) Building a computational laboratory for the study of team behaviour in product development. Proc ICED’17 8:189–198Google Scholar
- 25.Carley K, Gasser L (1999) Computational organization theory, multiagent systems: a modern approach to distributed artificial intelligence. MIT Press, Cambridge, pp 299–330Google Scholar