Racism and Its Agents in China
This chapter further introduces various manifestations of discourses of race in contemporary China and analyzes their agents and how they address the issues in relation to domestic and international problems. As an ideology, racism or racial discourses do not exist for their own sake or by themselves but always reflect power relations that may be addressed in other social hierarchy-based or identity-related discourses. In China today, racial thinking can appear in various discourses addressed to political and ideological needs of the party-state, cultural and intellectual elites as well as ordinary citizens.
- Carrico, K. (2017). The Great Han: Race, Nationalism, and Tradition in China Today. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- CCTV (China Central TV) 中国中央电视台. (2011.2, December 21). 电影新闻 [Movie News], Number 345.Google Scholar
- Chen, K.-H. (2010). Asia as Method: Toward Deimperialization. Durham and London: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Chen, X. 陈雪莲. (2011). 国家形象片总策划谈所拍人物多为外国国籍争议 [The Director of ‘National Image’ Responding to Controversies Raised by the Film Regarding Many Figures’ Foreign Nationality]. http://news.sina.com.cn/c/sd/2011-01-30/163521900613.shtml. Accessed May 2, 2015.
- “China National Image Film”. (2011). 中国国家形象宣传片. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA2LIgiUwTo. Accessed October 9, 2018.
- Cong, R. 丛日云. (2018). 西方文明的困境 [The Plight of the Western Civilization]. Tanshuo yu zhengming, 1, 37–40.Google Scholar
- Dikötter, F. (2015). The Discourse of Race in Modern China (A Revised and Expanded Version of the Book’s 1992 Edition). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Han, X. 韩星. (2012). 当代汉服复兴运动的文化反思 [Cultural Reflection of the Contemporary Han Clothing Movement]. Journal of the College of Arts (University of Inner-Mongolia), 4, 38–45.Google Scholar
- Hanwang 汉网. (2012). 当代中国是否需要种族主义? [Does Contemporary China Need Racism?] http://www.hanchc.com/thread-70728-1-1.htmlHanwang. Accessed May 6, 2016.
- Huanghanzhuyi. (2011). 皇汉主义十七条 [Seventeen Key Points of Huang Han]. https://www.douban.com/note/132119390/. Accessed May 23, 2018.
- Huang, X. 黄兴涛. (2017). 重塑中华: 近代中国 ‘中华民族’ 观念研究 [Reshaping Zhonghua: The Idea of ‘the Chinese Nation’ in Modern Times]. Beijing: Beijing Normal University Publishing Group.Google Scholar
- Liu, L. (2014). 身为中国人的子女是件很吓人的事情 [It’s So Scary to Be a Child of Chinese Parents]. http://fashion.ifeng.com/emotion/topic/detail_2014_02/21/34036366_0.shtml. Accessed October 4, 2018.
- Mao, Z. 毛泽东. (1956). Strengthening Party Unity and Carry Forward Party Traditions. https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-5/mswv5_53.htm. Accessed October 7, 2018.
- Mullaney, T. (2012). Critical Han Studies—Introduction and Prolegomenon. In T. Mullaney (Eds.), Critical Han Studies. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Qierjun 企鹅君. (2015). 为什么骂 “圣母” 和 “白左” 在中国是 “政治正确” 的? [Why Is Cursing “Holy Mother” and “Baizuo” “Politically Correct” in China?] https://www.douban.com/note/521727464/. Accessed May 3, 2018.
- Rocket, S. (2017). Barack Obama on The Three-Body Problem and Other Meaningful Books. https://www.tor.com/2017/01/17/barack-obama-books-the-three-body-problem/. Accessed October 7, 2018.
- Trump, D. (2017). Speech in Poland. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/here-s-full-text-donald-trump-s-speech-poland-n780046. Accessed January 11, 2019.
- Wan, J. 万佳欢. (2014). “国货” 林治波: 一个无条件爱国者 [A “Made-in-China” Lin Zhibo: An Unconditional Patriot]. China News Weekly, Vol. 674. https://chinadigitaltimes.net/chinese/2014/09. Accessed October 4, 2018.
- Wang, X. 王小东. (2012a). 对话王小东: 警惕 “逆向种族主义” [A Dialogue with Wang Xiaodong: Staying Alerted Against “Reverse Racism”]. http://news.ifeng.com/history/shijieshi/special/wangxiaodong/detail_2012_06/11/15209871_0.shtml. Accessed October 7, 2018.
- Wang, X. 王小东. (2012b). https://baike.baidu.com/item/王小东/12741361. Accessed October 7, 2018. Google Scholar
- Xu, J. 许纪霖. (2010). 现代性的歧路 : 清末民初的社会达尔文主义思潮 [Getting Astray on the Road to Modernity: Social Darwinist Thinking in the Late Qing and Early Republican Era]. http://www.lishixueyuan.com/mgsyjs/uploadfile/2016/0406/20160406095308676.pdf. Accessed May 20, 2018.
- Yan, A. 阎安. (2016). 中华民族是如何彻底摆脱被开除球籍危险的 [How Did the Chinese Nation Completely Get Rid of the Danger of Being Expelled from the Earth?] http://theory.people.com.cn/n1/2016/0801/c40531-28599851.html. Accessed October 7, 2018.
- Yao, X. 姚新勇. (2012). 中国大陆种族民族主义观察 [An Observation of Racial Nationalism in the Mainland China]. Yuandao, 17, 213–243.Google Scholar
- Yi, Z. 易中天. (2013). 文明的意志和中华的位置 [The Will of Civilization and the Place of China]. http://cul.qq.com/a/20130517/015619.htm. Accessed October 7, 2018.
- Yuan, T. 袁腾飞.1. (2016). 袁腾飞讲美国内战 05 : 心比脸都黑 [Yuan Tengfei Lecture on American Civil War: The Heart Is More Black than the Face]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4sDZUmtZjU. Accessed October 5, 2016.
- Yuan, T. 袁腾飞.2. (2016). 袁腾飞讲美国内战 01 : 印第安熊猫 [Yuan Tengfei Lecture on American Civil War 01: Indian Giant Panda]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iG7VPrVvwQ. Accessed October 3, 2016.
- Zhang, C. (2017). The Curious Rise of the “White Left” as a Chinese Internet Insult. https://www.opendemocracy.net/digitaliberties/chenchen-zhang/curious-rise-of-white-left-as-chinese-internet-insult. Accessed October 4, 2018.
- Zhang, K. 张抗抗. (2004, April 24). 《狼图腾》与科学发展观 [Wolf Totem and the Scientific Concept of Development]. CFEJ.net. http://culture.163.com/editor/news/050107/050107_107416.html. Accessed May 20, 2018.