Spark Plasma Sintering of Fine-Grain Ceramic–Metal Composites Based on Garnet-Structure Oxide Y2.5Nd0.5Al5O12 with Mo, W, and Ni
Using wet chemistry techniques, we have obtained ultrafine powders of complex oxides Y2.5Nd0.5Al5O12 with garnet structure and coated with layers of metals (Mo, W, Ni) by means of precipitation from salt solutions. Spark plasma sintering (SPS) was used to obtain fine-grain ceramic composites Y2.5Nd0.5Al5O12 – Met (Met = Mo, W, Ni) with 92–99% density. We have determined sintering activation energies and demonstrated that the dependence of shrinkage of powders on the heating temperature has a two-stage character: the stage of compaction of nanoparticles due to their regrouping and plastic flow under the action of applied stress and the direct sintering stage.
KeywordsElectron microscopy Hardness Sintering Composites Nuclear applications Activation energy Microhardness Fracture toughness
This work is supported by Russian Science Foundation (grant №16-13-10464).
- Andrievskiy AR, Spivak II (1989) Strength of high-melting compounds and materials on their base. Metallurgiya, Chelyabinsk (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Beke DL (1999) Diffusion in non-metallic solids (part 1). Landolt-Börnstein – Group III Condensed Mater. http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/b59654
- Frost HJ, Ashby MF (1982) Deformation-mechanism maps: the plasticity and creep of metals and ceramics. Pergamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Golovkina LS, Orlova AI, Nokhrin AV et al (2013) Ceramics based on yttrium aluminum garnet containing Nd and Sm obtained by spark plasma sintering. Adv Ceram Sci Eng (ACSE) 2:161–165Google Scholar
- Hollingsworth JP, Kuntz JD, Soules TF (2009) Neodymium ion diffusion during sintering of Nd:YAG transparent ceramics. J Phys D Appl Phys 42:052001:1–5. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/42/5/052001
- Pelleg J (2016) Diffusion in ceramics. Series “solid mechanics and its applications”. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-18437-1
- Rahaman MN (2003) Ceramic processing and sintering, 2nd edn. Marcel Dekker Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Samsonov GV (1969) The oxide handbook. Metallurgiya, Moscow (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Suárez M, Fernández A, Menéndez JL, Torrecillas R (2009) Transparent yttrium aluminium garnet obtained by spark plasma sintering of lyophilized gels. J Nanomater. https://doi.org/10.1155/2009/138490