Sphere Construction on the FCC Grid Interpreted as Layered Hexagonal Grids in 3D
In this paper, we propose an algorithm to build discrete spherical shell having integer center and real-valued inner and outer radii on the face-centered cubic (FCC) grid. We address the problem by mapping it to a 2D scenario and building the shell layer by layer on hexagonal grids with additive manufacturing in mind. The layered hexagonal grids get shifted according to need as we move from one layer to another and forms the FCC grid in 3D. However, we restrict our computation strictly to 2D in order to utilize symmetry and simplicity.
KeywordsDiscrete sphere Hexagonal grid Face-centered cubic grid Digital geometry Additive manufacturing
- 2.Andres, E.: Shear based bijective digital rotation in hexagonal grids. Pattern Recogn. Lett. (2018, submitted)Google Scholar
- 11.Nagy, B.: A symmetric coordinate frame for hexagonal networks. In: Theoretical Computer Science Information Society, pp. 193–196 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Sá, A.M., Echavarria, K.R., Pietroni, N., Cignoni, P.: State of the art on functional fabrication. In: Eurographics Workshop on Graphics for Digital Fabrication (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Snyder, W.E., Qi, H., Sander, W.A.: Coordinate system for hexagonal pixels. In: Medical Imaging: Image Processing, vol. 3661 (1999)Google Scholar
- 17.Strand, R.: Using the hexagonal grid for three-dimensional images: direct fourier method reconstruction and weighted distance transform. In: 18th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 1169–1172 (2006)Google Scholar