Band Selection with Bhattacharyya Distance Based on the Gaussian Mixture Model for Hyperspectral Image Classification
This paper investigates a new band selection approach with the Bhattacharyya distance based on the Gaussian Mixture Model (GMM) for Hyperspectral image classification. Our main motivation to model the Bhattacharyya distance using GMM is due to the fact that this tool is well known for capturing non-Gaussian statistic of multivariate data and that is less sensitive to estimation error problem than purely non-parametric models. To estimate the parameters of GMM, a Robust Expectation-Maximization (REM) algorithm is used. REM solves the shortcoming of the classical Expectation-Maximization (EM) algorithm by dynamically adapting the number of clusters to the data structure. The selected bands with the proposed approach are compared, in terms of classification accuracy, to the Bhattacharyya expressed in its parametric form and the Bhattacharyya modelled with GMM using the classical EM algorithm. The experiment was carried out on two real hyperspectral images, the Indiana Pines (92AV3C) sub-scene and the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) dataset, and the experimental results have demonstrated the effectiveness of our proposed method in terms of classification accuracy with fewer bands.
KeywordsHyperspectral image Remote sensing Band selection Bhattacharyya distance Probability estimation Gaussian mixture model 92AV3C KSC
- Burrell, L., Smart, O., Georgoulas, G. K., Marsh, E., & Vachtsevanos, G. J. (2007). Evaluation of feature selection techniques for analysis of functional MRI and EEG. In DMIN (pp. 256–262).Google Scholar
- Camps-Valls, G., & Bruzzone, L. (2009). Kernel methods for remote sensing data analysis. Wiley.Google Scholar
- GIC UdPV. (2015). Hyperspectral remote sensing scenes—kennedy space center (KSC). http://www.ehu.eus/ccwintco/index.php?title=Hyperspectral_Remote_Sensing_Scenes#Kennedy_Space_Center.28KSC.29.
- Huang, G. B., Zhu, Q. Y., & Siew, C. K. (2004). Extreme learning machine: A new learning scheme of feedforward neural networks. In 2004 IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37541) (Vol. 2, pp. 985–990). https://doi.org/10.1109/ijcnn.2004.1380068.
- Jimenez, L. O., & Landgrebe, D. A. (1998). Supervised classification in high-dimensional space: Geometrical, statistical, and asymptotical properties of multivariate data. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C (Applications and Reviews), 28(1), 39–54. https://doi.org/10.1109/5326.661089.
- Richards, J. (2012). Remote sensing digital image analysis: An introduction. Berlin: Springer. https://books.google.com/books?id=ETfwQnBMP4UC.
- Simin, C., Rongqun, Z., Wenling, C., & Hui, Y. (2009). Band selection of hyperspectral images based on bhattacharyya distance. WSEAS Transactions on Information Science and Applications, 6(7), 1165–1175.Google Scholar
- Theodoridis, S., & Koutroumbas, K. (2009). Pattern recognition (2nd ed.). Elsevier Science.Google Scholar
- Webb, A. (2003). Statistical pattern recognition (2nd ed.). Wiley InterScience Electronic Collection, Wiley.Google Scholar
- Yang, L., & Lin Yang, M. S., Lai, C. Y., & Lin, C. Y. (2012). A robust EM clustering algorithm for Gaussian mixture models. Pattern Recognition, 45(11), 3950–3961, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2012.04.031.