The Jewish cemetery of the former free imperial city of Buchau in the Duchy of Württemberg lies among tall, old trees. Since 1659, the Jews of the city and the surrounding communities of the Upper Swabia have buried their dead here. More than 800 headstones, or mazewot, are found here. Lettering on the oldest is weathered away. Those from the eighteenth century and later are quite legible; the most recent burial took place in 2003.