Design of Asymmetrical Doherty GaN HEMT Power Amplifiers for 4G Applications
In this paper, a 2-stage Doherty power amplifier and a single class B at 3.800 GHz, based on a 10 W GaN-HEMT technology using the bandwidth up to 6 GHz have been designed. The Doherty structure employes a class B bias condition for the main and a class C configuration for the auxiliary devices in the Agilent’s ADS design platform. An uneven Wilkinson power divider is applied to deliver more power to the auxiliary device in order to achieve proper load modulation. The RF performances of the Doherty amplifier have been compared with those of a class B amplifier alone. The simulation results exhibit that the Doherty architecture can be considered as an ideal candidate for maximizing average efficiency while simultaneously maintaining amplifier linearity.
KeywordsDoherty amplifier Power amplifier High efficiency
This work is supported by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation program under grant agreement H2020-MSCA-ITN-2016-SECRET-722424.
- 2.Cripps, S.C.: RF Power Amplifier for Wireless Communications. Artech House, Norwood (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Cripps, S.C.: Advanced Techniques in RF Power Amplifier Design. Artech House, Norwood (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Pozar, D.: Microwave Engineering, 4th edn. (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Kim, B., Yang, Y., Yi, J., Nam, J., Woo, Y.Y., Cha, J.: Efficiency enhancement of linear power amplifier using load modulation technique. In: International Symposium on Microwave and Optical Technology Digest, pp. 505–508 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Hussaini, A.S., Abd-Alhameed, R., Rodriguez, J.: Design of energy efficient power amplifier for 4G user terminals. In: Seventeenth IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS 2010), Athens, No. 533, pp. 617–620 (2010)Google Scholar