On the Performance of Acousto Optical Modulators–Free Space Optical Wireless Communication Systems over Negative Exponential Turbulent Channel
A novel free space optical (FSO) wireless communication system is proposed very recently utilizing acousto optical modulator (AOM) to externally modulate the laser beam . The idea is to control the diffracted angle of a laser beam incident to an AOM through varying the acoustic frequency propagating inside the AOM. The receiver with multiple photo diodes, spatially distributed and aligned to the preplanned diffracted angles, receive the laser signal and retrieve the transmitted bits. In this paper, we study the performance of AOM–FSO system over negative exponential turbulent channel. A closed-form expression for the average bit error probability is derived and shown to be precise over wide range of channel and system parameters. The performance of the system is compared to the ideal case of no fading and log normal channel.
KeywordsAcousto Optical Modulator (AOM) Free Space Optics (FSO) Performance analysis Wireless communication Negative exponential channel
The work in this paper was supported from the Scientific Research Foundation at the Ministry of Higher Education in Amman, Jordan under grant number ICT/1/9/2016.
- 2.Ghassemlooy, Z., Popoola, W., Rajbhandari, S.: Optical Wireless Communications: System and Channel Modelling with MATLAB. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.CISCO, Cisco visual networking index: Global mobile data traffic forecast update, 2015–2020. CISCO, White paper, February 2016Google Scholar
- 5.Abaza, M., Mesleh, R., Mansour, A., el Hadi Aggoune: Performance analysis of miso multi-hop FSO links over log-normal channels with fog and beam divergence attenuations. Optics Commun. 334, 247–252 (2015). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030401814008116CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Saleh, B.E.A., Teich, M.C.: Fundamentals of Photonics. Wiley, New York (1991). chapter 12Google Scholar
- 13.Nikulin, V.V., Khandekar, R., Sofka, J., Tartakovsky, G.: Acousto-optic pointing and tracking systems for free-space laser communications. In: Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 5892, no. 589216, August 2005Google Scholar
- 14.Ghosh, A.K., Verma, P., Cheng, S., Huck, R.C., Chatterjee, M.R., Al-Saedi, M.: Design of acousto-optic chaos based secure free-space optical communication links. In: Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 7464, no. 74640l (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Kadhim, et al.: Characterization study and simulation of MIMO FSO communication under different atmospheric channel. Int. J. Innov. Sci. Eng. Technol. 3(8) (2016). ISSN (Online) 2348 – 7968Google Scholar