Design of Compact Printed Monopole Antenna with Enhanced Bandwidth and Controllable Filtering Notch for UWB Applications
Compact printed monopole antenna suitable for UWB applications has been studied and analyzed. The design procedure of the proposed antenna has been elaborated into five stages, Firstly, the antenna with full ground plane was built, in which shows a narrow band of around 10 GHz. Secondly, the ground plane was optimally cut in order to enhance the antenna bandwidth, this version demonstrates a wide bandwidth from 3.15 GHz to 7.20 GHz. Thirdly, to cover the whole range of the UWB spectrum, a rectangle slot was generated on the micro strip line, this version shows a broad frequency range from 3.15 GHz up to 11 GHz, in which meet the UWB system. However, an electromagnetic interference (EMI) may exist in the UWB spectrum, thus, a simple and effective approach of U-slot was used. The U-slot was printed over the radiating element, in which created a notched band around 6.5 GHz. However, this fixed filtering notch cannot be tuned, therefore, a lumped capacitor was positioned on the best place over the generated U-slot, this makes the introduced rejected band tuned over a broad frequency range from 6.5 GHz up to 5.2 GHz. The results exhibit that the antenna structure may be deemed as an attractive candidate for todays’ smart applications.
KeywordsPrinted monopole antenna Tunable notched-band Defected ground plane
This work is carried out under the grant of the Fundacão para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT - Portugal), with the reference number: SFRH/BPD/95110/2013. This work is supported by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation program under grant agreement H2020-MSCA-ITN-2016-SECRET-722424.
- 1.FCC 1st report and order on ultra-wideband technology. FCC, Washington, DC, February 2002Google Scholar
- 8.Ray, K.P., Thakur, S.S., Deshmkh, A.A.: Compact slotted printed monopole UWB antenna. In: International Conference on Communication Technology, pp. 16–18 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Khan, M.K., Khan, M.I., Ahmad, I., Saleem, M.: Design of a printed monopole antenna with ridged ground for ultra wideband applications. In: 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), Shanghai, China, 8–11 August, pp. 4394–4396 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Abid, M., Kazim, J., Owais, O.: Ultra-wideband circular printed monopole antenna for cognitive radio applications. Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol. 10(3), 184–189 (2015)Google Scholar
- 14.Elfergani, I., Lopes, P., Rodriguez, J., Lo Hine Tong, D.: Simple and compact planar ultra-wideband antenna with band-notched characteristics. In: Elfergani, I., Hussaini, A.S., Rodriguez, J., Abd-Alhameed, R. (eds.) Antenna Fundamentals for Legacy Mobile Applications and Beyond, pp. 119–134. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-63967-3_6CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Chen, X., Xu, F., Tan, X.: Design of a compact UWB antenna with triple notched bands using nonuniform width slots. Journal of Sensors 2017, 1–9 (2017). Article ID 7673168Google Scholar
- 17.CST-Computer Simulation Technology AG (2014)Google Scholar