On Hardware Implementation of Tang-Maitra Boolean Functions
In this paper, we investigate the hardware circuit complexity of the class of Boolean functions recently introduced by Tang and Maitra (IEEE-TIT 64(1): 393–402, 2018). While this class of functions has very good cryptographic properties, the exact hardware requirement is an immediate concern as noted in the paper itself. In this direction, we consider different circuit architectures based on finite field arithmetic and Boolean optimization. An estimation of the circuit complexity is provided for such functions given any input size n. We study different candidate architectures for implementing these functions, all based on the finite field arithmetic. We also show different implementations for both ASIC and FPGA, providing further analysis on the practical aspects of the functions in question and the relation between these implementations and the theoretical bound. The practical results show that the Tang-Maitra functions are quite competitive in terms of area, while still maintaining an acceptable level of throughput performance for both ASIC and FPGA implementations.
KeywordsBoolean functions Bent functions Cryptology Finite fields Hardware implementation Stream cipher
- [Dil74]Dillon, J.F.: Elementary Hadamard difference sets. Ph.D. thesis (1974)Google Scholar
- [DIS09]Deschamps, J.-P., Imana, J.L., Sutter, G.D.: Hardware Implementation of Finite-Field Arithmetic. McGraw-Hill, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- [KCP17]Khairallah, M., Chattopadhyay, A., Peyrin, T.: Looting the LUTs: FPGA optimization of AES and AES-like ciphers for authenticated encryption. In: Patra, A., Smart, N.P. (eds.) INDOCRYPT 2017. LNCS, vol. 10698, pp. 282–301. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-71667-1_15CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [KMT18]Kavut, S., Maitra, S., Tang, D.: Searching balanced Boolean functions on even number of variables with excellent autocorrelation profile. In: Tenth International Workshop on Coding and Cryptography, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 18–22 September 2017Google Scholar
- [TKMM18]Tang, D., Kavut, S., Mandal, B., Maitra, S.: Modifying Maiorana-McFarland type bent functions for good cryptographic properties, April 2018 (preprint)Google Scholar