Formation of Computing and Coding Competences of Computer Science Teachers in Ukraine
Coding in schools continues to be an increasing world trend. Many European countries are introducing coding and computational thinking as a core curriculum subject. The paper is devoted to the problem of formation of computing and coding competences of Computer Science teachers. The modern use of computing and coding competences by the Ukrainian teachers is deeply analysed in the article. In the service of the aim of the paper, a questionnaire is developed by the authors. The questionnaire is purposed to gain data on the Ukrainian teachers’ views and attitudes towards the use of computing and coding competences. The basis of this survey is taken from Programmer Competency Matrix, but adapted for the Ukrainian teachers. Besides that analysis of various standards of computing and coding competences is described. As a result, the authors suggest new standards of computing and coding competences of Computer Science teachers in Ukraine, and proposals for formation of such competences via new common syllabus are considered.
KeywordsCoding competences Computing competences Computer science teachers Questionnaire Programmer competency matrix
The research leading to these results has received, within the framework of the IRNet project, funding from the People Programme (Marie Curie Actions) of the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007–2013) under REA grant agreement No: PIRSES-GA-2013-612536.
- Balanskat, A. et al. (2015). Computing our future Computer programming and coding Priorities, school curricula and initiatives across Europe. http://fcl.eun.org/documents/10180/14689/Computing+our+future_final.pdf/746e36b1-e1a6-4bf1-8105-ea27c0d2bbe0. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Bogliolo, A. (2013). CodeWeek. http://codeweek.eu/. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Codeclub pro. (2018). https://www.codeclub.org.uk/. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Coding and computational thinking on the curriculum. (2016). https://ec.europa.eu/education/sites/education/files/2016-pla-coding-computational-thinking_en.pdf. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- European Framework for the Digital Competence of Educators: DigCompEdu. https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/publication/eur-scientific-and-technical-research-reports/european-framework-digital-competence-educators-digcompedu. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Google’s Made With Code project. www.madewithcode.com. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- International Society for Technology in Education. (2018) www.iste.org. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Kemp, P. (2014). Computing in the National Curriculum for secondary teachers. http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/data/uploads/cas_secondary.pdf. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Learning and Skills for the Digital Era. https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/research-topic/learning-and-skills. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Miles, B. (2013). Computing in the National Curriculum for primary teachers. http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/data/uploads/CASPrimaryComputing.pdf. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. (2018). https://mon.gov.ua. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Pappano, L. (2017). Learning to think like a computer. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/education/edlife/teaching-students-computer-code.html. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Redecker, C., & Punie, Y. (2017). European framework for the digital competence of educators: DigCompEdu. http://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/bitstream/JRC107466/pdf_digcomedu_a4_final.pdf. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Rometty, G. (2016). IBM CEO Ginni Rometty’s Letter to the U.S. President-Elect. https://www.ibm.com/blogs/policy/ibm-ceo-ginni-romettys-letter-u-s-president-elect/. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Sijin, J. (2014). Programmer competency matrix. http://sijinjoseph.com/programmer-competency-matrix/. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Smith, M. (2016). Computer science for all. https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2016/01/30/computer-science-all. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Statutory guidance National curriculum in England: Computing programmes of study. (2013). https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-computing-programmes-of-study/national-curriculum-in-england-computing-programmes-of-study. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Swidenbank, R. (2015). Coding in British schools: A review of the first term. https://www.computerworlduk.com/careers/coding-in-british-schools-review-of-first-term-3595505/. Accessed 14 May 2018.
- Zynczak, H. (2016). What closing the gender gap in tech would mean outside the industry. https://www.fastcompany.com/3055906/what-closing-thegender-gap-in-tech-would-mean-outside-the-industry. Accessed 14 May 2018.