Factors Affecting the Level of Corporate Governance Disclosure by Companies Listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand
This research aimed to study the factors that affected the level of corporate governance disclosure by 360 companies listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, through statistical analysis of the level of disclosure of information in each company’s annual report (form 56-1), annual financial statement, and notes accompanying the financial statement. Descriptive statistics (including average standard errors) and inferential statistics were used to analyze the data for statistical correlations.
The hypothesis testing in this study found that the size of the organization affected the level of corporate governance disclosure by resource, service, and technology industry companies listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand; and that the age of the organization affected the level of disclosure by companies in the manufacturing and service industries. However, the ownership structure did not affect the level of disclosure in any of the industries that were studied.
This chapter discusses the results of this study regarding factors affecting the level of corporate governance disclosure by companies listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand and summarizes the findings for development of disclosure policy changes to ensure transparency and establish mechanisms for good governance that stakeholders or investors can apply for decisions on investment.
KeywordsDisclosures Stock exchange Industry category
- Adelopo, I. (2010). Voluntary disclosure practices among listed companies in Nigeria. Accessed March 3, 2010. www.papers.ssrn.com/so13/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1533445
- Choticharn Hitipong. (2006). The relationship between the organization characteristics and the level of disclosure in “report and analysis by management discussion” of companies listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Masters thesis, Chulalongkorn University.Google Scholar
- Lee, C. (2011). Corporate governance and the information efficiency of asset price. Doctoral dissertation, State University of New York.Google Scholar
- Memili, E. (2011). Control enhancing corporate governance mechanisms: Family versus nonfamily publicly traded firms. Doctoral dissertation, Mississippi State University.Google Scholar
- Narongrit Charnsuwan. (2007). The added value of the information by segment. Doctoral thesis, Chulalongkorn University.Google Scholar
- National Corporate Governance. (2013). The definition of corporate governance. Accessed April 10, 2013, from http://www.cgthailand.org/SetCG/index.html
- Nutthawan Sirithanon. (2007). Factors affecting the level of disclosure of corporate governance of listed companies on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Masters Thesis, Kasetsart University.Google Scholar
- Putcharee Sasakul. (2011). The relationship between the organization characteristics and the level of disclosure listed companies. Masters thesis, Kasetsart University.Google Scholar
- Silipaporn Srijunpret. (2009). Does the corporate governance mechanism increase real business value? Journal of Business Administration, 32(121), 1–6.Google Scholar
- Sathaya Thanjunpong. (2014). The impact of good corporate governance on tax planning of listed companies in the stock exchange of Thailand. Journal of Accounting Professional, 10(28), 5–18.Google Scholar
- Supana Sukanantasak. (2014). The effect of corporate governance mechanisms on earnings informativeness through earnings persistence: Empirical evidence from Thailand. Journal of Accounting Professional, 10(27), 14–31.Google Scholar
- The Stock Exchange of Thailand. (2006). Principles of corporate governance for listed companies in 2006. Accessed December 31, 2006, from http://www.set.or.th/th/regulations/cg/center_p1.html
- The Stock Exchange of Thailand. (2013). Guidelines on information disclosure of listed companies (online). Accessed September 30, 2013, from http://www.set.or.th/th/regulations/rules/disclosure_files/BorJorPor2300_TH.pdf
- The Stock Exchange of Thailand. (2015). Name list of the listed companies in the Stock Exchange of Thailand (Online). Accessed February 9, 2015, from http://www.set.or.th/th/company/companylist.html