Revealed Preference Dimension via Matrix Sign Rank
Given a data-set of consumer behaviour, the Revealed Preference Graph succinctly encodes inferred relative preferences between observed outcomes as a directed graph. Not all graphs can be constructed as revealed preference graphs when the market dimension is fixed. This paper solves the open problem of determining exactly which graphs are attainable as revealed preference graphs in d-dimensional markets. This is achieved via an exact characterization which closely ties the feasibility of the graph to the Matrix Sign Rank of its signed adjacency matrix. The paper also shows that when the preference relations form a partially ordered set with order-dimension k, the graph is attainable as a revealed preference graph in a k-dimensional market.
KeywordsRevealed preference Matrix sign rank Partial order
I would like to thank Ruta Mehta, Adrian Vetta, and Siddharth Barman, for their insightful discussion in the initial stages of work.
- 2.Alon, N., Moran, S., Yehudayoff, A.: Sign rank versus VC dimension. In: Conference on Learning Theory, pp. 47–80 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Ausubel, L.M., Cramton, P., Milgrom, P.: The clock-proxy auction: a practical combinatorial auction design (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Bhangale, A., Kopparty, S.: The complexity of computing the minimum rank of a sign pattern matrix. arXiv preprint arXiv:1503.04486 (2015)
- 9.Boser, B.E., Guyon, I.M., Vapnik, V.N.: A training algorithm for optimal margin classifiers. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Workshop on Computational Learning Theory, pp. 144–152. ACM (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Chambers, C.P., Echenique, F.: Rational demand: 3.1. Revealed preference graphs, Chap. 3. In: Revealed Preference Theory. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2016)Google Scholar
- 22.Rosenblatt, F.: The perceptron, a Perceiving and Recognizing Automaton Project Para. Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Buffalo (1957)Google Scholar
- 23.Samuelson, P.A.: A note on the pure theory of consumer’s behavior. Economica 5, 62–71 (1938)Google Scholar