Recent Advances in Flexible Supercapacitors
Flexible devices are shock absorbent, unbreakable, light in weight, smaller in dimension, and come at a lower cost. These exceptional properties of the flexible devices are catalyst for the continuous development of stretchable nanostructured materials to address the related challenges such as structure complexity. Similar to flexible electronic devices, the energy storage devices are also an essential part of such system and parallel work going on to develop the electrochemical flexible energy storage system such as flexible batteries and supercapacitors. In the flexible electronic devices such as microsensors, biomedical devices, and wearable electronic suits, flexible supercapacitors (FSCs) can be easily embedded as an essential part working as a powerhouse. However, the technology is still at the early stage of lab research, and thus exploring novel approaches remains an urgent academic and industrial challenge.
This chapter covers all the important parameters related to the energy storage mechanism and constructional details of flexible SC electrodes. The chapter includes a brief review on frequently used nanostructured electrode materials for all kind of SC electrodes based on recently reported literature. A separate section provides mechanistic insight into the role of gel electrolyte for solid-state device fabrication. The further detailed classification of FSCs has been provided on the basis of design schematic and fabrication process by highlighting the importance of different components responsible for mechanical flexibility. Cost-effective materials and construction processes and their electrochemical performances have been covered with technical discussion targeting to present and future design prospect of FSCs. Hence the chapter explores the ideas of paramount importance to meet the stringent requirements for the applications mentioned above, related to design and fabrication of stretchable electrodes to improve the performance of state-of-the-art SCs.
KeywordsElectrochemical energy storage Nanostructured materials Gel electrolyte Flexible supercapacitor Freestanding electrode Wearable electronic devices
Electric Double-Layer Capacitor
Graphene Cellulose Paper
Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes
Porous Electrochemically Reduced Graphene Oxide
Reduced Graphene Oxide
Scanning Electron Microscopy
Specific Surface Area
Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes
Transmission Electron Microscopy
Swati Jadhav is thankful to SERB for the National Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF/2017/000388). Vikash Chaturvedi is thankful to DST Nano Mission project (GAP-314126) for funding. All the authors acknowledge the contribution of CSIR NCL for the facilities.
- Ghosh K, Yue CY, Sk MM, Jena RK (2017) Development of 3D urchin-shaped coaxial manganese Dioxide@Polyaniline (MnO2@PANI) composite and self-assembled 3D pillared graphene foam for asymmetric all-solid-state flexible supercapacitor application. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 9(18):15350–15363. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b16406 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li H, Fu D, Zhang X-M (2018a) A novel adenine-based metal organic framework derived nitrogen-doped nanoporous carbon for flexible solid-state supercapacitor. R Soc Open Sci 5(1). http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/5/1/171028 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ma L, Liu R, Niu H, Xing L, Liu L, Huang Y (2016) Flexible and freestanding supercapacitor electrodes based on nitrogen-doped carbon networks/graphene/bacterial cellulose with ultrahigh areal capacitance. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 8(49):33608–33618. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b11034 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Salele Iro Z (2016) A brief review on electrode materials for supercapacitor. Int J Electrochem Sci 11. https://doi.org/10.20964/2016.12.50
- Sari NP, Dutta D, Jamaluddin A, Chang J-K, Su C-Y (2017) Controlled multimodal hierarchically porous electrode self-assembly of electrochemically exfoliated graphene for fully solid-state flexible supercapacitor. Phys Chem Chem Phys 19(45):30381–30392. https://doi.org/10.1039/C7CP05799G CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xinhong QI, Zheng W, Li X, He G (2016) Multishelled NiO hollow microspheres for high-performance supercapacitors with ultrahigh energy density and robust cycle life. Sci Rep 6. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep33241
- Zequine C, Ranaweera CK, Wang Z, Dvornic PR, Kahol PK, Singh S, Tripathi P, Srivastava ON, Singh S, Gupta BK, Gupta G, Gupta RK (2017) High-performance flexible Supercapacitors obtained via recycled jute: bio-waste to energy storage approach. Sci Rep 7(1)Google Scholar