Solid Waste Collection in Ciudad Universitaria-UNAM Using a VRP Approach and Max-Min Ant System Algorithm
The collection of solid waste is a very important problem for most of the modern cities of the world. The solution to this problem requires to apply optimization techniques capable of design the best path routes that guarantee to collect all the waste minimizing the cost. Several computation techniques could be applied to solve this problem and one of the most suitable could be swarm optimization such as ant colony optimization. In this paper, we propose a methodology for searching a set of collection paths of solid waste that optimize the distance of a tour in Ciudad Universitaria (UNAM). This methodology uses a vehicle routing problem (VRP) approach combined with Max-Min Ant System algorithm. To assess the accuracy of the proposal, we select the scholar circuit in the area of Ciudad Universitaria. The results shown a shortest distance travelled and better distribution than the empiric route used actually for the cleaning service.
KeywordsVehicle routing problem (VRP) Max-Min Ant System (Max-Min AS) algorithm Collection of solid waste Optimization path routes
The authors would like to thank Dirección General de Obras y Conservación, UNAM. This work was supported by the SECITI under Project SECITI/064/2016.
- 4.Dorigo, M., Maniezzo, V., Colorni, A.: Ant system: an autocatalytic optimizing process. Université Libre de Bruxelles (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Dorigo, M.: Optimization, learning and natural algorithms. Ph.D. thesis, Dip. Electtronica e Informazion, Politecnico di Milano Italy (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Hornig, E.S., Fuentealba, N.R.: Modelo ACO para la recolección de residuos por contenedores. Rev. Chil. Ing. 17(2), 236–243 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Ogwueleka, T.C.: Route optimization for solid waste collection: Onitsha (Nigeria) case study. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manag. 13(2), 37–40 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Stützle, T., Hoos, H.H.: Improving the ant system: a detailed report on the MAX– MIN ant system. Technical report AIDA–96–12, FG Intellektik, FB Informatik, TU Darmstadt, Germany, August 1996 (1996)Google Scholar