Orthogonal and Smooth Orthogonal Layouts of 1-Planar Graphs with Low Edge Complexity
While orthogonal drawings have a long history, smooth orthogonal drawings have been introduced only recently. So far, only planar drawings or drawings with an arbitrary number of crossings per edge have been studied. Recently, a lot of research effort in graph drawing has been directed towards the study of beyond-planar graphs such as 1-planar graphs, which admit a drawing where each edge is crossed at most once. In this paper, we consider graphs with a fixed embedding. For 1-planar graphs, we present algorithms that yield orthogonal drawings with optimal curve complexity and smooth orthogonal drawings with small curve complexity. For the subclass of outer-1-planar graphs, which can be drawn such that all vertices lie on the outer face, we achieve optimal curve complexity for both, orthogonal and smooth orthogonal drawings.
- 3.Argyriou, E., et al.: Orthogonal and smooth orthogonal layouts of 1-planar graphs with low edge complexity. Arxiv report (2018). http://arxiv.org/abs/1808.10536
- 5.Bekos, M.A., Gronemann, M., Pupyrev, S., Raftopoulou, C.N.: Perfect smooth orthogonal drawings. In: Bourbakis, N.G., Tsihrintzis, G.A., Virvou, M. (eds.) IISA, pp. 76–81. IEEE (2014). https://doi.org/10.1109/IISA.2014.6878731
- 10.Didimo, W., Liotta, G., Montecchiani, F.: A survey on graph drawing beyond planarity. Arxiv report (2018). http://arxiv.org/abs/1804.07257
- 17.Leiserson, C.E.: Area-efficient graph layouts. In: Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS 1980), pp. 270–281. IEEE (1980). https://doi.org/10.1109/SFCS.1980.13
- 19.Roberts, M.J., Newton, E.J., Lagattolla, F.D., Hughes, S., Hasler, M.C.: Objective versus subjective measures of Paris metro map usability: investigating traditional octolinear versus all-curves schematics. Int. J. Hum. Comput. Stud. 71(3), 363–386 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2012.09.004CrossRefGoogle Scholar