A Smart Breath Analyzer for Monitoring Home Mechanical Ventilated Patients
In this work we developed a Smart Breath Analyzer device devoted to the tele-monitoring of exhaled air in patients suffering Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease (COPD) and home-assisted by mechanical ventilation. The device based on sensors allows remote monitoring of a patient during a ventilotherapy session, and transmit the monitored signals to health service unit by TCP/IP communication through a cloud remote platform. The aim is to check continuously the effectiveness of therapy and/or any state of exacerbation of the disease requiring healthcare. By preliminary experimental tests, the prototype was validated on a volunteer subject.
KeywordsCOPD Telemedicine Breath analyzer
The Smart Breath Analyzer was developed inside the project ReSPIRO (Rete dei Servizi Pneumologici: Integration, Research and Open-innovation—Bando Aiuti a Sostegno Cluster Tecnologici Regionali, project cod. F29R1T8) founded by Apulia Region.
- 2.World Health Organization 2017: The top 10 causes of death (Fact sheet no 310). http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/
- 3.Vestbo, J., Hurd, S.S., Agustí, A.G., Jones, P.W., Vogelmeier, C., Anzueto, A., Barnes, P.J., Fabbri, L.M., Martinez, F.J., Nishimura, M., Stockley, R.A., Sin, D.D., Rodriguez-Roisin, R.: Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease GOLD executive summary. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 187(4), 347–365 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease, pocket guide to COPD diagnosis, management, and prevention. A guide for Health Care Professionals. 2017 Report. © 2017 Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease, IncGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lange, P., Halpin, D.M., O’Donnell, D.E., MacNee, W.: Diagnosis, assessment, and phenotyping of COPD: beyond FEV1—review. Int. J. COPD 11 (Special Issue 1st World Lung Disease Summit) (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Bofan, M., Mores, N., Baron, M., Dabrowska, M., Valente, S., Schmid, M., Trové, A., Conforto, S., Zini, G., Cattani, P., Fuso, L., Mautone, A., Mondino, C., Pagliari, G., D’Alessio, T., Montuschi, P.: Within-day and between-day repeatability of measurements with an electronic nose in patients with COPD. J. Breath Res. 7, 017103 (8 pp.) (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar