A Novel Lab-on-Disk System for Pathogen Nucleic Acids Analysis in Infectious Diseases
The miniaturization of Real Time PCR (qPCR) systems is a crucial point towards the development of “genetic point-of-care” (PoC) that are able to offer sample-in-answer-out diagnostic analysis. Centralized laboratories and specialized staffs are needed for conventional DNA analysis. To solve this issue, we propose an innovative easy-to-use PoC technology based on a Lab-on-Disk miniaturized system, integrating nucleic acids extraction process based on Mags-Beads technology and detection based on qPCR. Lab-on-Disk system is composed by a polycarbonate disk with reagent-on-board for DNA extraction and a qPCR silicon-chip. A customized reader integrating electronic and optical modules was developed for driving the polycarbonate disk. Here we present results in the detection of Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) genome.
KeywordsPathogen DNA extraction/detection Microfluidics Magnetic beads QPCR
The authors acknowledge HSG-IMIT for the disk design development and CLONIT for providing HBV sample for the extraction and detection tests.
- 4.Sambrook, J., Russel, D.: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, vol. 3, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, NY, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Padhye, V.V., York, C., Burkiewiez, A.: Nucleic acid purification on silica gel and glass mixture. United States patent US 5658548, Promega Corporation (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Hegab, H.M., Soliman, M., Ebrahim, S., Op de Beeck, M.: In-flow DNA extraction using on-chip microfluidic amino-coated silicon micropillar array filter. J. Bionsens. Bioelectron. 4, 1–6 (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Fernández-Carballo, B.L., McGuiness, I., McBeth, C., Kalashnikov, M., Borrós, S., Sharon, A., Sauer-Budge, A.F.: Low-cost, real-time, continuous flow PCR system for pathogen detection. Biomed. Microdevices 18(2), 34 (2016)Google Scholar
- 26.Foglieni, B., Brisci, A., San Biagio, F., Di Pietro, P., Petralia, S., Conoci, S., Ferrari, M., Cremonesi, L.: Integrated PCR amplification and detection processes on a Lab-on-Chip platform: A new advanced solution for molecular diagnostics. Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 48, 329–336 (2010)Google Scholar