Raising Long-Term Awareness: EU Environmental Policy and Education
Environmental policy can be considered one of the success stories of the European Union (EU). At its founding in 1957, the European Community (EC) had no environmental dimension, but today it has some of the most progressive environmental policies in the world. This chapter addresses EU environmental policy with a specific focus on environmental education, as a means to raising an awareness of society’s impact on the environment and instilling good practice among citizens with regard to protecting the environment. It presents case studies to demonstrate the practical implementation of awareness-raising exercises in school and higher education, analysing the effectiveness of such exercises for promoting long-term awareness and behaviour towards protecting the environment. The chapter highlights the importance of fostering students’ connectedness to the environment if awareness-raising and environmental education exercises are to be effective.
- Directive (EU) 2015/720 of the European Parliament and of the Council.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2008). Implementing European Community Environmental Law, Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, COM(2008), 773 final.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2012). Improving the Delivery of Benefits from EU Environment Measures: Building Confidence Through Better Knowledge and Responsiveness, Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, COM(2012), 95 final.Google Scholar
- European Environmental Agency. (2005). Environmental Policy Integration in Europe: State of Play and an Evaluation Framework (Technical Report No. 2/2005). Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- European Environmental Agency. (2014). Resource-Efficient Green Economy and EU Policies (Technical Report No. 2/2014). Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- Farmer, A. M. (2012). Manual of European Environmental Policy. London: Routledge.Google Scholar