Efficient Preconditioner Updates for Semilinear Space–Time Fractional Reaction–Diffusion Equations
The numerical solution of fractional partial differential equations poses significant computational challenges in regard to efficiency as a result of the nonlocality of the fractional differential operators. In this work we consider the numerical solution of nonlinear space–time fractional reaction–diffusion equations integrated in time by fractional linear multistep formulas. The Newton step needed to advance in (fractional) time requires the solution of sequences of large and dense linear systems because of the fractional operators in space. A preconditioning updating strategy devised recently is adapted and the spectrum of the underlying operators is briefly analyzed. Because of the quasilinearity of the problem, each Jacobian matrix of the Newton equations can be written as the sum of a multilevel Toeplitz plus a diagonal matrix and produced exactly in the code. Numerical tests with a population dynamics problem show that the proposed approach is fast and reliable with respect to standard direct, unpreconditioned, multilevel circulant/Toeplitz and ILU preconditioned iterative solvers.
KeywordsSemilinear fractional diffusion equations Update of preconditioners Localized and structured linear systems
We wish to thank two anonymous referees for their constructive comments which have improved the readability of the paper.
This work was supported in part by the 2018 GNCS–INDAM project “Tecniche innovative per problemi di algebra lineare.” The first author acknowledges the MIUR Excellence Department Project awarded to the Department of Mathematics, University of Rome Tor Vergata, CUP E83C18000100006.
- 1.Bell, N., Garland, M.: Cusp: Generic Parallel Algorithms for Sparse Matrix and Graph Computations. Version 0.5.1 (2015). http://cusplibrary.github.io/
- 17.Jaffard, S.: Propriétés des matrices <<bien localisées>> près de leur diagonale et quelques applications. In: Ann. Henri Poincaré Analyse non linéaire, vol. 7.5, pp. 461–476. Gauthier-Villars (1990)Google Scholar
- 20.Moroney, T., Yang, Q.: A banded preconditioner for the two–sided, nonlinear space–fractional diffusion equation. Comput. Math. Appl. 66(5), 659–667 (2013). Fractional Differentiation and its Applications. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.camwa.2013.01.048. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0898122113000783 MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Ortigueira, M.D.: Riesz potential operators and inverses via fractional centred derivatives. Int. J. Math. Math. Sci. 2006, 48391 (2006)Google Scholar
- 26.Simmons, A., Yang, Q., Moroney, T.: A preconditioned numerical solver for stiff nonlinear reaction–diffusion equations with fractional Laplacians that avoids dense matrices. J. Comput. Phys. 287, 254–268 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2015.02.012. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999115000741 MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Wolkenfelt, P.H.M.: Linear Multistep Methods and the Construction of Quadrature Formulae for Volterra Integral and Integro–Differential Equations. Tech. Rep. NW 76/79, Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam (1979)Google Scholar