The Barrier of Climate Change
This chapter examines climate change as one of the major barriers to developing and implementing a common strategy for achieving sustainability. The chapter then looks at variation in the effects that climate change is having on water supplies. Included are land areas that lie farther from the equator, areas near the equator such as North Africa, the Middle East and Central America.
KeywordsClimate change Extreme weather events Drought Floods Water scarcity
- EcoWatch. 2015. Eight major cities funning out of water. Accessed July 14, 2018 from www.ecowatch.com/8-major-cities-running-out-of-water-1882061458.html.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2016. Climate impacts on water resources. US Environmental Protection Agency. Accessed November 24, 2017 from https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/climate-impacts/climate-impacts-water-resources_.html#main-content.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2017. Climate impacts on coastal areas. Environmental Protection Agency. Accessed November 28, 2017 from https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/climate-impacts/climate-impacts-coastal-areas_.html.
- Jain, Sharad, K. 2011. Population rise and growing water scarcity in India—Revised estimates and required initiatives. Current Science 101 (3): 271–276. National Commission for Integrated Water Resources Development (NCIWRD), India Ministry of Water Resources.Google Scholar
- Jaramillo, Pablo, and Ali Nazemi. 2018. Assessing urban water security under changing climate: Challenges and ways forward. Sustainable Cities and Society (Forthcoming): 1–12.Google Scholar
- Karl, Thomas R., and Kevin E. Trenberth. 2005. What is climate change? In Climate Change and Biodiversity, ed. Thomas E. Lovejoy and Lee Hannah, 15–28. New Haven: Yale University Press. Google Scholar
- Miralles-Wilhelm, Fernando, Leon Clarke, Mohamad Hejazi, Sonny Kim, Kelly Gustafson, Raul Muñoz-Castillo, and Neal Graham. 2017. Physical Impacts of Climate Change on Water Resources. Washington, DC: Global Water Practice, World Bank Group. Accessed October 16, 2017 from file:///C:/Users/David/Downloads/112726-WP-PUBLIC-Physical-impacts-of-climate-change-on-water-resources.pdf.
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration). 2016. Study maps hidden water pollution in the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Accessed November 13, 2017 from www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/study-maps-hidden-water-pollution-in-us-coastal-areas.
- WWAP (United Nations World Water Assessment Programme). 2015. The United Nations World Water Development Report 2015: Water for a Sustainable World. Paris: UNESCO. Available at http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0023/002318/231823E.pdf.