The Global Need for Water Sustainability
This chapter looks at some of the ways water suppliers are reacting to the growing scarcity of clean, safe water. The focus is on descriptions of the innovative water management practices and process implemented by municipalities and other public water suppliers. It begins with a review of innovative policy changes in organizations and closes with a look at some of the management and governance changes taking place in the industry.
KeywordsProblems reaching sustainability Water governance Transformational change Management innovation
- Abramson, Mark A., Jonathan D. Breul, and John Kamensky. 2006. Six Trends Transforming Government. Washington, DC: IBM Center for the Business of Government.Google Scholar
- Adikari, Yogamath, and Junichi Yoshitami. 2009. Global trends in water related disasters: An insight for policymakers. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Accessed December 19, 2017 from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001817/181793e.pdf.
- Borins, Sandford. 2014. The Persistance of Innovation in Government. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution.Google Scholar
- Cohen, Steven. 2011. Sustainability Management. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Lall, Upmanu, Tanya Heikkila, Casey Brown, and Tobias Siegried. 2008. Water in the 21st century: Defining the elements of global crises and potential solutions. Journal of International Affairs 61 (2): 1–17.Google Scholar
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). 2017. Billion-dollar water and climate disasters: National Centers for Environmental Information. Accessed December 19, 2017 from www.ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/events/US/1980-2017.
- UNISDR (United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction). 2015. The economic and human impact of disasters in the last 10 years. Accessed December 19, 2017 from https://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/disaster-statistics.
- UN-Water. 2014. A post-2015 global goal for water: Synthesis of key findings and recommendations from UN-Water. Accessed December 16, 2017 from www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/pdf/27_01_2014_UN-Water_paper_on_a_post2015_global_goal_for_water.pdf.
- World Bank. 2017. Water resource management. Accessed March 29, 2018 from http://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/waterresourcesmanagement.