Alternative Sources of Water Supply
Supplying water for a rapidly growing population and increasing urbanization, providing the irrigation water needed to grow and ensure an adequate supply of food, halting indiscriminate pollution of surface water and groundwater resources, and funding the new and replacement infrastructure needed to meet demands of a changing climate are all global water problems. Chapter 16 looks at some of the alternative pathways that some districts are taking in order to be certain that theirs is a sustainable water supply that meets present and anticipated future demand.
KeywordsAlternative water sources Recycled wastewater Desalinated water Graywater Blackwater
- Cho, Renee. 2011. How china is dealing with its water crisis. State of the Planet blog. Columbia University Earth Institute. Accessed April 14, 2014 from https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/05/05/how-china-is-dealing-with-its-water-crisis/.
- Fishman, Ram, Naresh Devineni, and Swaiminathan Raman. 2015. Can improved agricultural water use efficiency save India’s groundwater? Accessed April 12, 2018 from https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/8/084022.pdf.
- Luthra, Sonia, and Amrita Kundu. 2013. India’s water crisis and cures: An interview with Kirit S. Parikha. The National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR). Accessed June 28, 2018 from http://www.nbr.org/research/activity.aspx?id=356.
- McKinsey & Co. 2009. Charting our water future. 2030 Water Resources Group. Sustainability & Resource Productivity 18 (1): 1–18. Accessed December 15, 2017 from www.mckinsey.com/~/media/mckinsey/dotcom/client_service/sustainability/pdfs/charting%20our%20water%20future/charting_our_water_future_full_report_.ashx.
- McNabb, David E. 2017. Managing the Water Resource in an Era of Climate Change. New York: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Swain, Ashok. 2017. Here’s why the idea to link India’s rivers will remain a pipe dream. Outlook, September 3. Accessed April 12, 2018 from https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/heres-why-the-idea-to-link-indias-rivers-will-remain-a-pipe-dream/301157.