Pathways to Sustainable Cities
The chapter explains why it is difficult to define sustainable cities. It then examines the evolution of a planning framework for managing water for achieving and sustaining sustainable cities. It also discusses actions that water suppliers and municipal leaders are initiating for achieving and supporting sustainable cities.
KeywordsSustainable cities Sustainable communities Water sustainability management Sustainability planning
- AWWA (American Water Works Association). 2012. Buried no longer: Confronting America’s water infrastructure challenge. Accessed May 21, 2018 from www.awwa.org/portals/0/files/legreg/documents/buriednolonger.pdf.
- Bahri, Akiça. 2012. Integrated urban water management. TEC Background Papers No. 16, Global Water Partnership, Technical Committee. Accessed October 24, 2017 from www.gwp.org/globalassets/global/toolbox/publications/background-papers-integrated-urban-water-management-2012.pdf.
- Espey, Jessica, Hayden Dahmm, and Laurie Manderino. 2018. Leaving no U.S. city behind: The U.S. cities sustainable development goals index. United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network. Accessed August 5, 2018. Available at http://unsdsn.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/US-Cities-Index-Report.pdf.
- Gray, Regina C. 2015. Guest Editor’s introduction: Building a research agenda for creating sustainable and inclusive communities for all. Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research 17(2): 2–15.Google Scholar
- GWP (Global Water Partnership). 2000. Integrated water resources management. TAC Background Papers (4). Accessed August 4, 2018 from www.gwp.org/globalassets/global/toolbox/publications/background-papers/04-integrated-water-resources-management-2000-english.pdf.
- Hill, Christopher. 2017. Sustainable cities water index: Harnessing water for long-term success. Accessed September 3, 2018 from www.arcadis.com/en/united-states/our-perspectives/2016/sustainable-cities-water-indexharnessing-water-for-long-term-success/.
- ICWE (International Conference on Water and the Environment). 1992. The Dublin statement on water and the environment. Accessed August 4, 2018 from https://www.gdrc.org/uem/water/dublin-statement.html.
- Ribeiro, João M.P., Stephane L. Bocasanta, Risa O. Ávila, Mica Magoto, Ana V. Jonck, George M. Gabriel, José B.S.O. de Andrade Guerra. 2018. The adoption of strategies for sustainable cities: A comparative study between Seattle and Florianópolis legislation for energy and water efficiency in buildings. Journal of Cleaner Production 197: 366–378.Google Scholar
- SWITCH (Sustainable Waster Management Improves Tomorrows Cities Health). 2006. Sustainable water management in the city of the future. Accessed October 11, 2017 from www.switchurbanwater.eu/outputs/pdfs/SWITCH-Final-Report.pdf.