Patterns and Their Interaction in Excitable Media on Face-Centered Cubic Lattice
We propose three-state cellular automata on a face-centered cubic lattice as a model of excitable media. Two kinds of propagating patterns, three kinds of extending patterns, and a cuboctahedron-shaped trigger wave were found in some rule sets. Propagating patterns consist of four nonzero cells and they are smaller than the one known in a two-state version. Some stationary patterns can eliminate propagating patterns and the collision between two propagating patterns can erase one or two of them. There is a possibility of developing an information processing system using these patterns and their interaction.
KeywordsExcitable medium Face-centered cubic lattice Cellular automaton
- 8.Goucher, A.P.: Gliders in cellular automata on Penrose tilings. J. Cellular Automata 7(5–6), 385–392 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Iwai, Y.: Search of computationally universal cellular automata on face-centered cubic lattice (2018). Master thesis in JapaneseGoogle Scholar
- 10.Preston Jr., K.P., Duff, M.J.B.: Modern Cellular Automata Theory and Applications. Plenum Press, New York (1984)Google Scholar
- 11.Owens, N., Stepney, S.: Investigations of Game of Life Cellular Automata Rules on Penrose Tilings: Lifetime and Ash Statistics. In: AUTOMATA-2008, pp. 1–35. Luniver Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Owens, N., Stepney, S.: Investigations of game of life cellular automata rules on Penrose tilings: lifetime, ash, and oscillator statistics. J. Cellular Automata 5(3), 207–225 (2010)Google Scholar