Novel Perceptions on Development Studies: International Review and Consultations Toward a Renewed Vision
Starting from the first EADI Vision Paper on Development Studies (2005), the chapter presents the outcome of a multi-site consultation process on the evolution of the field of Development Studies. Based on an analysis of publications, impact factors and perceptions from involved scholars, the authors advance an updated Vision that takes into account how the field is viewed and takes shape not only in the West, but also in China and South Africa. While some of the basic tenets of Development Studies seem to hold firm, major shifts in global development and academic landscapes may give rise to important reconfigurations. On the one hand, the field of Development Studies is vibrant and growing. On the other, its expanding scope may end up challenging its very identity.
The authors thank all those involved in the consultations and review processes that led to this paper. We wish to thank in particular the EADI directors and executive committee members as well as Dennis Rodgers, Andy Sumner, Wang Xinsong, Jacques Forster, Hans Opschoor, Michel Carton, Christophe Gironde and Lee Mizell for their valuable inputs and remarks on earlier drafts. We are also grateful to Waiyee Leong for her helpful research assistance at an early stage of the project.
- Apostel, L. (1972). Interdisciplinarity: Problems of Teaching and Research in Universities. Paris: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.Google Scholar
- Cambridge University Press. (2016). Economic Development and Growth. http://www.cambridge.org/ch/academic/subjects/economics/economic-development-and-growth. Accessed 11 December 2016.
- Columbia University Press. (2016). Economics: Development Economics. http://cup.columbia.edu/subjects/economics/development-economics. Accessed 4 December 2016.
- Comaroff, J., & Comaroff, J. L. (2012). Theory from the South: Or, How Euro-America Is Evolving Toward Africa. London: Paradigm Publishers.Google Scholar
- de Sousa Santos, B. (2014). Epistemologies of the South: Justice Against Epistemicide. London: Paradigm Publishers.Google Scholar
- Edward Elgar Publishing. (2016). Development Studies. http://www.e-elgar.com/shop/books/development-studies. Accessed 4 December 2016.
- Hurst. (2016). Development. http://www.hurstpublishers.com/category/development/page/2/. Accessed 26 November 2016.
- Khartas, M., & Silva, K. T. (Eds.). (2013). Religion and Development. International Development Policy, 3(1). https://poldev.revues.org/937. Accessed 18 June 2017.
- Kuhn, T. S. (1962). The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Lewis, D., Rodgers, D., & Woolcock, M. (Eds.). (2014). Popular Representations of Development: Insights from Novels, Films, Television and Social Media. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Myrdal, G. (1996). Asian Drama: An Inquiry into the Poverty of Nations. New York: Twentieth Century Fund and Pantheon.Google Scholar
- Opschoor, H., Forster, J., Jolly, R., & Mönks, J. (2005). Development Studies, Accreditation and EADI. A Vision Paper Presented to the EADI Executive Committee. Bonn, Brighton, Geneva, The Hague: EADI. http://www.eadi.org/typo3/fileadmin/Accreditation/Documents/EADI_Vision_paper_final.pdf. Accessed 5 June 2016.
- Oxford University Press. (2016). Development Studies. https://global.oup.com/academic/category/social-sciences/development-studies. Accessed 11 December 2016.
- Palgrave Macmillan. (2016). Development. http://www.palgrave.com/de/social-science/development. Accessed 1 December 2016.
- Pluto Press. (2016). Development Studies. http://www.plutobooks.com/results.asp?SQF=/1:Development_Studies&pl=6&P=categories_development_studies&sort=sort_pluto. Accessed 26 November 2016.
- Routledge. (2016). Development Studies Products. https://www.routledge.com/products/SCDS. Accessed 11 December 2016.
- SNSF—Swiss Academies, Swiss National Science Foundation—Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences. (2016). Horizons (No. 108). Bern: SNSF, Swiss Academies. http://www.snf.ch/SiteCollectionDocuments/horizonte/Horizonte_gesamt/Horizons_108_E.pdf. Accessed 18 April 2016.
- South African Council on Higher Education. (2013). Framework for Qualification Standards in Higher Education. http://nr-online.che.ac.za/html_documents/LLB/QS%20Framework%20approved%20by%20HEQC%20and%20Council.pdf. Accessed 9 October 2016.
- Thomson Reuters. (2016). Journal Citation Reports. https://jcr.incites.thomsonreuters.com. Accessed 24 October 2016.
- Verso Books. (2016). Verso. https://www.versobooks.com. Accessed 26 November 2016.
- ZED Books. (2016). Development. https://www.zedbooks.net/shop/subjects/development/. Accessed 26 November 2016.