A Non-deterministic Approach to Mitigate Replay Attack and Database Attack Simultaneously on Iris Recognition System
Biometric authentication is associated with prevalent security related issues. They compromise with user identity and also make that user characteristic feeble for any further use. Several attack points have been identified in literature and research has been widely carried out on each of them independently. In this paper, we combine two attack points – replay attack and template-based attack. We extend our previous work on robust iris regions to mitigate both these attacks simultaneously. The proposed approach uses cancelable biometrics generation technique. The technique is based on non-invertible transform of the selected robust iris regions. This transformed or cancelable template is used for user authentication. The system attains the EER of 1.75% which is comparable to other state-of-art approaches.
KeywordsCancelable biometrics Iris recognition Non-Deterministic approach Replay attack Template attack
Thanks to Dr. Arpana Sharma, Mathematics Department from Delhi University who assisted to understand the concept of linear transformations.
- 3.Gupta, R., Sehgal, P.: Mitigating iris based replay attack using cuckoo optimized reversible watermarking. In: Seventh International Conference on Advances in Computing, Control, and Telecommunication Technologies - ACT 2016 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta, R., Sehgal, P.: Non-deterministic approach to allay replay attack on iris biometric. Pattern Anal. Appl. 1–13 (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Rathgeb, C., Breitinger, F., Busch, C.: Alignment free cancelable iris biometric templates based on adaptive bloom filters. In: International Conference on Biometrics (ICB) 2013, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Gomez-Barrero, M., Rathgeb, C., Galbally, J., Fierrez, J., Busch, C.: Protected facial biometric templates based on local gabor patterns and adaptive bloom filters. In: 22nd International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR) 2014, pp. 4483–4488 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Syarif, M.A., Leslie Ching Ow Tiong, A.G., Nen, L.M., Lee, K.W.: Cancelability for LBP biometric authentication. In: 2015 Asia-Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association Annual Summit and Conference (APSIPA), pp. 612–618 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Sutra, G., Dorizzi, B., Garcia-Salicetti, S., Othman, N.: A biometric reference system for iris, OSIRIS version 4.1. Telecom Sud Paris, Fr. Technical report (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.CASIA-Iris version 3 interval database. http://biometrics.idealtest.org/dbDetailForUser.do?id=3. Accessed 20 June 2018
- 17.Man-in-the-middle-attack. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack. Accessed 20 June 2018