Beyond the State: How ‘Voluntary’ Is the Voluntary Youth Sector?
The extent and impacts of cuts in state funding for voluntary youth sector organisations before and after ‘austerity’; some limited government initiatives offering alternative forms of support. Key steps in the restructuring of the voluntary youth sector itself as leading organisations—particularly Ambition, UK Youth and National Council for Voluntary Youth Services—sought more collaborative ways of working and then agreed organisational mergers. Key national voluntary youth organisations’ limited critiques of government youth policies; their overall acceptance of the ideology and operational approaches shaping these; and their (pro-)active participation in their delivery. The consequences of these responses for their role as independent and critical civil society bodies; the sector’s rationale for responding in these ways.
- Barings Foundation. 2013. Independence Under Threat: The Voluntary Sector in 2013. Barings Foundation. http://www.independencepanel.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Independence-Under-Threat_The-Voluntary-Sector-in-2013_WebVersion12.pdf.
- Clubs for Young People. 2009. Somewhere to Belong: A Blueprint for 21st Century Youth Clubs. London: Clubs for Young People.Google Scholar
- Davies, Bernard. 2014. ‘Independence at Risk: The State, the Market and the Voluntary Youth Sector’. Youth and Policy. No. 112. April, pp. 111–122.Google Scholar
- Lent, Matt. 2016. ‘The Youth Sector Needs Pragmatists’. UK Youth blog. 26 January. https://medium.com/@MattSL/the-power-of-pragmatism-954511bc83f0.
- Munn, Alex. 2015. Who Stands for Youth? A Call for Better Collaboration to Influence Youth Policy in London. Partnership for London.Google Scholar
- NCIA, 2015, ‘Fight or Fight’: Inquiry into the Future of Voluntary Services’. http://independentaction.net/publications-resources/voluntary-services-inquiry/.
- NCVYS. 2010. Comprehensive Cuts: Report on Funding Changes in the Voluntary and Community Youth Sector. October.Google Scholar
- NCVYS. 2013. ‘About the Catalyst Programme’. http://www.ncvys.org.uk/Catalyst.html.
- Rochester, Colin. 2013. Rediscovering Voluntary Action: The Beat of a Different Drum. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Wylie, Tom. 2009. ‘Youth Work and the Voluntary Sector’, in Wood, Jason and Jean, Hine (eds), Work with Young People. London: Sage, pp. 202–212.Google Scholar