Data Privacy Marketing Audits, Benchmarking, and Metrics
As the previous chapters make clear, privacy issues and strategies cannot be left to legal and IT departments. They are critical issues for marketing managers. A firm’s policies and actions regarding the collection and use of big data (e.g., sales to third parties), customer targeting, advertising, and privacy policies all have significant impacts on customers’ attitudes and behaviors, as well as vast financial implications. Even if a firm’s legal department works to ensure that it is in compliance with privacy laws and regulations (Chapter 3), in-house lawyers often ignore the effects of the resulting policies on customers’ perceptions—or at least they weight the potential legal consequences much more heavily than they do any customer and marketing effects.
- 1.Cadwalladr, C. (2018). ‘I Made Steve Bannon’s Psychological Warfare Tool’: Meet the Data War Whistleblower. The Guardian. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/17/data-war-whistleblower-christopher-wylie-faceook-nix-bannon-trump. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- 3.Markidan, L. (2015). Your Customers Aren’t Telling You Everything. Here’s What to Do About It. Groove. Available at https://www.groovehq.com/support/outbound-customer-service. Accessed June 22, 2018.
- 4.Wagner, K. (2018). Facebook Says Europe’s New Data Privacy Rules Won’t Hurt Its Business—Too Much. Recode. Available at https://www.recode.net/2018/4/25/17282612/facebook-gdpr-europe-user-growth-impact. Accessed June 22, 2018.
- 5.Bedoya, A. (2018). Opinion | Why Silicon Valley Lobbyists Love Big, Broad Privacy Bills. Nytimes.com. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/opinion/silicon-valley-lobbyists-privacy.html. Accessed June 22, 2018.
- 8.Data Policy. (2018, April 19). Retrieved June 22, 2018, from https://www.facebook.com/policy.php.
- 10.Ismail, N. (2016). Employees Lack Security Awareness—Information Age. Information Age. Retrieved April 22, 2018, from http://www.information-age.com/employees-security-awareness-levels-need-raised-123462944/.
- 11.Vaughan-Nichols, S. (2018). DNS Is About to Get into a World of Trouble with GDPR. ZDNet. Available at https://www.zdnet.com/article/dns-is-about-to-get-into-a-world-of-trouble-with-gdpr/. Accessed June 22, 2018.
- 12.Costco.com. (2018). Your Privacy Rights. Costco. Available at https://www.costco.com/privacy-policy.html. Accessed June 22, 2018.