Customer Data Privacy: Why Every Marketer Should Care
In 2014, the 113th U.S. Congress adopted a nonbinding agreement to recognize January 28 as “National Data Privacy Day.” Companies celebrate, or at least acknowledge, the annual observation by participating in various events, such as the speakers and panel discussions held at LinkedIn’s headquarters in San Francisco. Motivation for National Data Privacy Day was nicely articulated by David Hoffman, Associate General Counsel and Global Privacy Officer for the Intel Corporation who noted, “All companies are data companies today, and we all have a role to play in promoting the ethical and innovative use of data.”
- 1.National Cyber Security Alliance. (2018). Data Privacy Day Impact Report 2018 [Ebook] (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://staysafeonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2018-DPD-Report.pdf.
- 2.Frenkel, S., Matthew R., & Confessore, N. (2018, April 10). Facebook Data Collected by Quiz App Included Private Messages. New York Times. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/10/technology/facebook-cambridge-analytica-private-messages.html?action=click&contentCollection=Technology&module=RelatedCoverage®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article. Accessed April 11, 2018.
- 3.Jenkins, A. (2018, March 28). These Companies Have Cut Their Ties with Facebook Amid the Cambridge Analytica Data Scandal. Time. Available at http://time.com/5216291/facebook-cambridge-analytica-companies-advertising/. Accessed April 10, 2018.
- 4.Hetherington, J. (2018, March 20). Facebook Whistle-Blower Reveals Cambridge Analytica Is Tip of Data-Mining Iceberg. Newsweek. Available at http://www.newsweek.com/cambridge-analytica-just-one-hundreds-mining-data-facebook-852744. Accessed April 10, 2018.
- 5.Mims, C. (2018, April 22). Who Has More of Your Personal Data Than Facebook? Try Google. Wall Street Journal. Available at https://www.wsj.com/articles/who-has-more-of-your-personal-data-than-facebook-try-google-1524398401?mod=trending_now_4. Accessed April 23, 2018.
- 6.Singer, N. (2018, April 11). What You Don’t Know About How Facebook Uses Your Data. New York Times. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/technology/facebook-privacy-hearings.html. Accessed April 11, 2018
- 7.Beckett, L. (2014, June 13). Everything We Know About What Data Brokers Know About You. ProPublica. Available at https://www.propublica.org/article/everything-we-know-about-what-data-brokers-know-about-you. Accessed April 24, 2018.
- 8.Paul, K. (2018, April 3). Everything You Wanted to Know About Data Breaches, Privacy Violations and Hacks. MarketWatch. Available at https://www.marketwatch.com/story/at-what-point-should-you-be-concerned-about-a-data-breach-2018-04-03. Accessed April 24, 2018.
- 9.Manion, J. (2016, January 20). Data Security and Privacy: Marketing’s Top Conundrum in 2016. MarTech Today. Available at https://martechtoday.com/data-security-privacy-marketings-top-conundrum-2016-159239. Accessed April 17, 2018.
- 11.Kaye, K. (2013, July 23). Study: Data Crucial to Marketing but Expensive to Safeguard. AdAge. Available at http://adage.com/article/datadriven-marketing/brands-consumer-data-safeguards-dma/243225/?utm_source=update&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=adage&ttl=1375196439. Accessed April 17, 2018.
- 12.Digital Marketing Institute. (2017). Why Marketers Should Care About Privacy Rulings. Available at https://digitalmarketinginstitute.com/blog/2017-8-03-why-marketers-should-care-about-privacy-rulings. Accessed April 17, 2018.
- 13.Davidson, J. (2018). Forget Facebook, Meet the Company That Will Pay You for Your Personal Data. Retrieved from http://time.com/money/3001361/datacoup-facebook-personal-data-privacy/.
- 15.Chinni, D., & Bronston, S. (2018, April 15). Why Data Privacy Could Unite Red and Blue American. NBC News. Available at https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/why-data-privacy-could-unite-red-blue-america-n866081. Accessed April 16, 2018.
- 16.Rosenbush, S. (2018, April 16). The Morning Download: Companies Should Beware Public’s Rising Anxiety Over Data. Wall Street Journal. Available at https://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2018/04/16/the-morning-download-companies-should-beware-publics-rising-anxiety-over-data/. Accessed April 19, 2018.
- 17.O’Brien, M., & Jalonick, M. C. (2018, April 11). Is Facebook Regulation ‘Inevitable’? Not so Fast. ABC News. Available at https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/facebook-regulation-inevitable-fast-54403103. Accessed April 19, 2018.
- 18.Solove, D. (2011). Nothing to Hide: The False Tradeoff Between Privacy and Security. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- 20.Olmstead, K., & Smith, A. (2017). What the Public Knows About Cybersecurity. Pew Research Center. www.pewinternet.org.
- 21.Tarnoff, B. (2018, March 14). Big Data for the People: It’s Time to Take It Back from Our Tech Overlords. The Guardian. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/14/tech-big-data-capitalism-give-wealth-back-to-people?CMP=share_btn_link. Accessed April 19, 2018.
- 22.Yokubaitis, R. (2018, January 19). It’s Time to Take Our Privacy Back from Tech Companies. The Hill. Available at http://thehill.com/opinion/technology/369573-its-time-to-take-our-privacy-back-from-tech-companies. Accessed April 19, 2018.
- 23.Marketing Science Institute. (2018, January 19). Marketing at a Privacy Crossroads, Featuring Jonathan D. Avila, Vice President and Chief Privacy Officer, Stores, Inc. Best of MSI Webinar Series. Available at http://www.msi.org/video/marketing-at-a-privacy-crossroads/.
- 24.IBM Security, Ponemon Institute. (2017). 2017 Cost of Data Breach Study. Available at https://www.ibm.com/security/data-breach. Accessed March 1, 2018.
- 26.Fuhrmans, V. (2017, October 12). New Worry for CEOs: A Career-Ending Cyberattack. Wall Street Journal. Available at https://www.wsj.com/articles/cybersecurity-tops-priority-list-for-ceos-after-string-of-high-profile-hacks-1507821018. Accessed April 19, 2018.
- 27.Table Compiled from Various Sources Including Armerding, T. (2018, January 26). The 17 Biggest of the 21st Century. CSO. Available at https://www.csoonline.com/article/2130877/data-breach/the-biggest-data-breaches-of-the-21st-century.html. Accessed April 20, 2018; Acuant, “40 Biggest Data Breaches of All Time”. Available at https://www.acuantcorp.com/40-biggest-data-breaches-time/. Accessed April 20, 2018; and the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse at https://www.privacyrights.org/data-breaches.