Evaluation of Cooperative Learning in Graduate Course of Natural Language Processing
As a new collaborating teaching approach, cooperative learning has attracted more and more educational research interests. In this study, taking the teaching characteristics of graduate course of natural language processing into consideration, we apply cooperative learning based on Blackboard platform to improve the conventional graduate teaching. Through two years of teaching practice, we evaluate the effect of cooperative learning in the learning of course content and project development. The evaluation results show that cooperative learning approach improves the teaching effectiveness on course contents. Especially, this approach improves the cooperation among students in the project development effectively.
KeywordsCooperative learning Graduate teaching Natural language processing course
This work was supported by Course Construction Project No. JGYJ-201541, Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen Graduate School, Key Technologies Research and Development Program of Shenzhen JSGG20170817140856618, Shenzhen Foundational Research Funding 20170307150024907.
- 1.Bontcheva, K., Cunningham, H., Tablan, V., et al.: Using GATE as an environment for teaching NLP. In: Proceedings of the ACL-02 Workshop on Effective Tools and Methodologies for Teaching Natural Language Processing and Computational Linguistics, vol. 1, pp. 54–62. Association for Computational Linguistics (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Johnson, D.W., Johnson, R.T., Smith, K.A.: Active Learning: Cooperation in the College Classroom. Academic Achievement, 140 (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Kaufman, D., Sutow, E., Dunn, K.: Three approaches to cooperative learning in higher education. Can. J. High. Educ. 27(2/3), 37–66 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Millis, B.J., Cottell Jr., P.G.: Cooperative Learning for Higher Education Faculty. Series on Higher Education. Oryx Press, Phoenix (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Ahn, B., Nelson, M.: Assessment of the effects of using the cooperative learning pedagogy in a hybrid mechanics of materials course. Int. J. Mech. Eng. Educ. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1177/0306419018759734
- 8.Trytten, D.A.: Progressing from small group work to cooperative learning: a case study from computer science. In: Frontiers in Education Conference. IEEE (1999). 2001:13A4/22-13A4/27Google Scholar
- 9.Chen, Y., Xie, S., Lin, X., et al.: Design of cooperative learning network teaching system based on resources. Audio Video Educ. Res. 9, 42–45 (2007). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, F., Qi, Y., Xue, Q.: Research on the security of virtual learning community in the perspective of big data - discussions on collaborative learning system based on threshold proxy signature. J. Distance Educ. 31(4), 76–82 (2013). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, R., Huang, X.: Exploration of excellent courses based on the Blackboard platform. Chin. Distance Educ. 19, 83–85 (2011). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Kubiszyn, T., Borich, G.: Educational Testing and Measurement. Wiley, Hoboken (2015)Google Scholar