Strategies to Promote Green Development in Coal Resource-Based Regions with China’s Shanxi Province as an Example
The economic development in coal resource-based regions of China has been quite difficult. The traditional “black” development pattern based on mineral resources has brought out some negative consequences to economic development, and its transformation towards the green development pattern becomes imminent. In this chapter, we define the essential dimensions of the green development pattern and examine several major obstacles toward the green development in coal resource-based regions with China’s Shanxi province as an example. We further discuss some strategies to tackle the dilemma and suggest that coal resource-based regions should promote the coal supply-side structural reform, improve the environmental capacity and resource values, and promote the quality of life for people.
KeywordsGreen development Coal resource-based regions Coal supply-side structural reform Shanxi province China
- Hu A, Zhou S (2014) Green development functional definition, mechanism analysis and development strategies. China Popul Resour Environ 1:14–20Google Scholar
- Qin S, Wang X, Fu H (2015) The predicament and countermeasures of the green development strategy in China: based on ecological civilization construction integrating into economic construction. Ecol Econ 7:168–171Google Scholar
- The State Council (2013) China’s national sustainable development plan for resource-based cities (2013–2020). http://www.gov.cn/zwgk/2013-12/03/content_2540070.html. Accessed 3 Dec 2013
- World Bank and the State Council Development Research Center Joint Task Force (2013) China in 2030: building a modern, harmonious and creative society. China Financial & Economic Publishing HouseGoogle Scholar
- Zhu H (2010) Research Center for Energy Environment and Green Development at Tianjin university of Science and Technology was established. http://society.people.com.cn/GB/86800/12882320.html. Accessed 6 Oct 2010