Prohibited Item Detection in Airport X-Ray Security Images via Attention Mechanism Based CNN
Automation of security inspections is crucial for improving the efficiency and reducing security risks. In this paper, we focus on automatically recognizing and localizing prohibited items in airport X-ray security images. A top-down attention mechanism is applied to enhance a CNN classifier to additionally locate the prohibited items. We introduce a high-level semantic feedback loop to map the targets semantic signal to the input X-ray image space for generating task-specic attention maps. And the attention maps indicate the location and general outline of prohibited items in the input images. Furthermore, to obtain more accurate location information, we combine the lateral inhibition and contrastive attention to suppress noise and non-target interference in attention maps. The experiments on the GDX-ray image dataset have demonstrated the efficiency and stability of the proposed scheme in both single target detection and multi-target detection.
KeywordsProhibited item Detection Attention CNN
This work was supported by the National Science Foundation of China Nos. 61379102, 61806208.
- 2.Mclay, L.A., Lee, A.J., Jacobson, S.H.: Risk-based policies for airport security checkpoint screening. INFORMS (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Franzel, T., Schmidt, U., Roth, S.: Object detection in multi-view X-ray images. Joint DAGM 7476, 144–154 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Kundegorski, M.E., Akcay, S., Devereux, M., et al.: On using feature descriptors as visual words for object detection within X-ray baggage security screening. In: International Conference on Imaging for Crime Detection and Prevention 2016, vol. 12, no. 6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Akcay, S., Kundegorski, M.E., Devereux, M., et al.: Transfer learning using convolutional neural networks for object classification within X-ray baggage security imagery. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2016, pp. 1057–1061 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Cao, C., Huang, Y., Yang, Y., et al.: Feedback convolutional neural network for visual localization and segmentation. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 99, 1 (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Cao, C., Wang, Z., Wang, L., et al.: Lateral Inhibition-inspired Convolutional Neural Network for Visual Attention and Saliency Detection. Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, J., Bargal, S.A., Lin, Z., et al.: Top-down neural attention by excitation backprop. Int. J. Comput. Vis. 17, 1–19 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, Q., Zhang, J., Song, S., et al.: Attentional neural network: feature selection using cognitive feedback. In: International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems. MIT Press, pp. 2033–2041 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Krell, M.M., Seeland, A., Kim, S.K.: Data augmentation for brain-computer interfaces: analysis on event-related potentials data (2018)Google Scholar