Entropy Crowdsourcing – Protocols for Link Key Updates in Wireless Sensor Networks
- 373 Downloads
In this work, we propose a completely different design of key distribution protocols for ad-hoc networks of nodes with restricted resources, wireless sensor networks (WSNs). Earlier research on so-called secrecy amplification (SA) for WSNs went with the discrete “take it or leave it” design – either the newly transferred key components got to their destination securely, or the attacker learned their values. And as the SA measures are probabilistic and preventive in nature, no-one but the attacker knew what the attacker learned (and when Mallory learned a key component, she obviously did not push for the fail-deadly trigger). We propose to combine vanilla secrecy amplification with key extraction from the radio channel, coming up with a novel method to produce and deliver key updates to individual link keys.
KeywordsKey Link Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) Privacy Ampliﬁcation Protocol Individual Links Push Protocol
Czech Science Foundation project GBP202/12/G061 partly supported this work.
- 1.Anderson, R., Chan, H., Perrig, A.: Key infection: smart trust for smart dust. In: 12th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, pp. 206–215. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Eschenauer, L., Gligor, V.D.: A key-management scheme for distributed sensor networks. In: 9th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 41–47. ACM (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Jana, S., Premnath, S.N., Clark, M., Kasera, S.K., Patwari, N., Krishnamurthy, S.V.: On the effectiveness of secret key extraction from wireless signal strength in real environments. In: Proceedings of the 15th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, MobiCom 2009, pp. 321–332. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Ošťádal, R., Švenda, P., Matyáš, V.: Attackers in wireless sensor networks will be neither random nor jumping – secrecy amplification case. In: Foresti, S., Persiano, G. (eds.) CANS 2016. LNCS, vol. 10052, pp. 552–561. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-48965-0_34CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Švenda, P., Sekanina, L., Matyáš, V.: Evolutionary design of secrecy amplification protocols for wireless sensor networks. In: Second ACM Conference on Wireless Network Security, pp. 225–236 (2009)Google Scholar