Benchmarking City Performance
In the global knowledge economy era, benchmarking urban performance has become a routine practice for many cities. Such exercise is vital for cities to know about their performance and what the competitors are doing and how this performance compares their own. This chapter focuses on the city benchmarking topic and presents an international city comparison study. As the exemplar base city Brisbane, Australia is selected. Brisbane’s knowledge-based urban development performance in numerous areas is benchmarked against global knowledge cities. These cities include Birmingham, Boston, Helsinki, Istanbul, Manchester, Melbourne, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and Vancouver. As for the cross-comparison tool Knowledge-Based Urban Development Assessment Model (KBUD-AM) is utilised.
KeywordsBenchmarking performance Knowledge-based urban development Knowledge city Smart city Sustainable urban development Knowledge-Based Urban Development Assessment Model (KBUD-AM) Brisbane Birmingham Boston Helsinki Istanbul Manchester Melbourne San Francisco Sydney Toronto Vancouver
- Carrillo, F. J., Yigitcanlar, T., García, B., & Lönnqvist, A. (2014). Knowledge and the city: Concepts, applications and trends of knowledge-based urban development. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Holloway, A., & Wajzer, C. (2008, October 7–10). Improving city performance through benchmarking. Sydney, Australia: International Cities Town Centres & Communities Society.Google Scholar
- Rondo-Brovetto, P., & Saliterer, I. (2007). Comparing regions, cities, and communities. The Public Sector Innovation Journal, 12(3), 1–18.Google Scholar
- Stokie, T. (1999). Benchmarking Melbourne: Indicators of liveability and competitiveness. In L. Yuan, B. Yuen, & C. Low (Eds.), Urban quality of life: Critical issues and options. Singapore: National University of Singapore Press.Google Scholar
- The Committee for Sydney. (2016). The seven habits of highly successful cities: Advice for Sydney. Sydney: The Committee for Sydney.Google Scholar
- Yigitcanlar, T. (2014b). Valleys, alleys and roundabouts: innovating beyond a precinct. The Conversation. Accessed on March 17, 2017 from http://theconversation.com/valleys-alleys-and-roundabouts-innovating-beyond-a-precinct-24290.