QoS Routing and Scheduling Algorithms in Multihop Wireless Networks
In many scenarios, real and non-real time applications share resources and co-exist, hence there is a high requirement for improved network traffic and bandwidth management. In this paper, we have designed a model to address the problem of Quality of Service (QoS) routing and packet scheduling in multi-hop wireless networks. We have proposed a routing algorithm which is an extension of the OSPF algorithm. This algorithm considers the QoS constraints of the flow and uses the OSPF algorithm to find the shortest path satisfying the QoS constraints. If the algorithm is not able to find a route then the flow is blocked. We have also incorporated packet scheduling algorithms in our model for increased efficiency in transmitting the flows. An optimal packet length has been computed for data flows. QualNet network simulator has been used for simulating our model and we have compared the results with and without packet scheduling and we have found that the proposed algorithm outperforms traditional routing algorithms.
KeywordsQoS OSPF Adaptive OSPF Packet scheduling
We would like to thank the department of ECE, IISC for supporting us and also allowing us to work with Qualnet software.
- 2.Yao, L., Doroslovacki, M., McDysan, D.E.: A bandwidth constrained QoS routing algorithm. In: IEEE Workshop on High Performance Switching and Routing, pp. 380–384, May 2001Google Scholar
- 3.Sharma, V., Shetiya, H.: Providing QoS to real and interative data applications in WiMax mesh networks. In: Ahson, S., Ilyas, M. (eds.) WiMax Applications. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis group, Boca Raton (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Khabazian, M., Aissa, S.: A load-distributive QoS routing protocol for multi-service wireless mesh networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications, pp. 233–238, October 2010Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, C.H., Leung, K.K., Gkelias, A.: A novel cross-layer QoS routing algorithm for wireless mesh networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Information Networking, pp. 1–5, January 2008Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, Y., Farley, T., Ye, N.: QoS requirements of network applications on the internet. Inf.-Knowl.-Syst. Manag. J. 4(1), 55–76 (2004). IOS PressGoogle Scholar
- 10.EXata-3.1-UsersGuideGoogle Scholar
- 11.EXata-3.1-ProgrammersGuideGoogle Scholar
- 12.EXata-3.1-DevelopersGuideGoogle Scholar