Tri-band Dual Polarized 2 × 2 MIMO Antenna for Wireless Communications
A dual polarized (DP) 2 × 2 MIMO antenna with high gain and isolation is proposed for WLAN band (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n) and C-band (spectrum sharing) applications. The proposed MIMO antenna design consists of two DP pentagonal microstrip elements. A slot on a ground is introduced to escalation the isolation among two antennas. The measured frequency bands extend from 2.43 to 2.54 GHz, 4.05 to 4.13 GHz and 5.22 to 5.37 GHz with VSWR <2. The achieved isolation between two ports is more than 30 dB. The measured peak gains at 2.45 GHz, 4.09 GHz and 5.29 GHz resonant frequencies are 7.95 dBd, 3.39 dBd and 4.18 dBd, respectively. The RT druid 5880 substrate is used for fabricating the MIMO antenna. Measured results agree with the simulation ones. The diversity performances in terms of diversity gain (DG), efficiency, and envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) have also been reported. The proposed MIMO antenna is tested using Wi-Fi router.
KeywordsMutual coupling Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna WLAN
- 3.See, T.S.P., Swee, A.M.L., Chen, Z.N.: Correlation analysis of UWB MIMO antenna system configurations. In: Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband (ICUWB 2008), vol. 2 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Swelam, W., Soliman, M., Gomaa, A., Taha, T.: Compact dual-band microstrip patch array antenna for MIMO 4G communication systems. In: IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI) (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Nawaz, H., Saleem, I., Kiyani, A., Abbas, S.M.: MIMO antenna array for wireless local area networks. In: 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computer, Control and Communication (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.John, M., Manoj, B., Rodrigues, S.: Design of slotted rectangular microstrip patch antenna operated in ISM band using RT-duroid substrate. In: International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, and Optimization Techniques (ICEEOT) (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Garg, R., Bhartia, P., Bahl, I., Ittipiboon, A.: Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Chap. 5. Artech House, Norwood (2001)Google Scholar