Image Processing Architecture Using DTCWT Modified Distributed Algorithm for Plant Phenotyping
In this paper, image transformation algorithm into wavelet sub bands is carried out using Dual Tree Complex Wavelet Transform (DTCWT) and the corresponding architecture is implemented on FPGA. For efficient hardware implementation of DTCWT architecture on FPGA platform Distributive Arithmetic Algorithm (DAA) is designed based on modified methods and symmetry property of filter coefficients. The symmetry in filter coefficients reduce the filter length by half and the multiplierless logic reduces computation complexity. DTCWT that comprises of two pairs of low pass and high pass filters that re designed using modified DA algorithm. The design implemented operates at maximum frequency of 290 MHz with power dissipation limited to 1 W occupying less than 10% of Spartan 6 FPGA resources.
KeywordsDTCWT DA algorithm FPGA Image compression Multiplierless logic Shift and add method
The authors would like to acknowledge the owners of plant phenotyping data base for permitting to download the data sets from the weblink www.plant-phenotyping.org. We also thank Reva University for giving an environment required for carrying out research work.
- 5.Fang, L.H., Jie, X.H., Feng, M.G.: Images compression using dual tree ComplexWavelet transform. In: International Conference on Information Science and Management Engineering, vol. 01, pp. 559–562 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Chang, Y.-N., Li, Y.-S.: Design of highly efficient VLSI architectures for 2-D DWT and 2-D IDWT. In: IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Systems, pp. 26–28 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, Y., Cao, X., Xie, Q., Peng, C.: An area efficient high performance DCT distributed architecture for video compression. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Communications Technology, pp. 238–241 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Peng, C., Cao, X., Yu, D., Zhang, X.: A 250 MHz optimized distributed architecture of 2D DC T. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on ASIC, pp. 189–192 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Allred, D.J., Yoo, H., Krishnan, V., Huang, W., Anderson, D.V.: LMS adaptive filters using distributed arithmetic for high throughput. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. I 52(7), 1327–1333 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Yoo, H., Anderson, D.V.: Hardware-efficient distributed arithmetic architecture for high order digital filters. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. 125–128, March 2005Google Scholar
- 15.Chang, T.-S., Chen, C., Jen, C.-W.: New distributed arithmetic algorithm and its application IDCT. In: IEEE Proceedings Circuits, Devices and Systems, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 159–162, August 1999Google Scholar