Optimization of Distributed Energy Efficient Clustering Variants for Enhancing Lifetime in WSNs
Wireless Sensor Network (WSNs) consist of enormous amount of computational nodes that periodically monitors and manages target environmental conditions and this information is send to a sink (or central point) that needs high energy usage. Network energy can be utilized effectively by considering the sensors into groups, called clusters consisting of cluster head (CH) which act as a master node and its members are controlled by CH. Energy consumed by CH nodes is high due to its processing as compared to its member nodes. In a cluster initially all members nodes have same amount of initial energy after some rounds energy level of member nodes has different initial energies so we have to use heterogeneity in homogenous networks to improve lifetime of the network. Here in this paper we discussed different protocols such as Distributed energy efficient clustering (DEEC), Developed DEEC (DDEEC) and Enhanced DEEC (EDEEC) are estimated by varying heterogeneous parameters under several scenarios. We observe the performance based on stability period, network lifetime and throughput. However EDEEC outperforms in all sceneries and in different heterogeneous network performance is sustained.
KeywordsHierarchical Heterogenity Clustering Number of rounds Lifetime Stability period
This work is supported by Ministry of electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), India as a part of R &D project and Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme of Govt. of India (TEQIP-III).
- 3.Heinzelman, W.R., et al.: Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In: Proceeding of the 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 1–10, January 2000Google Scholar
- 5.Lindsey, S., Raghavendra, C.: PEGASIS: power-efficient gathering in sensor information systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference, Montana, vol. 3, pp. 1125–1130 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Young, M.: The Technical Writer’s Handbook. University Science, Mill Valley (1989)Google Scholar
- 7.Smaragdakis, G., Matta, I., Bestavros, A.: SEP: a stable election protocol for clustered heterogeneous WSNs. In: Second International Workshop on Sensor and Actor Network Protocols and Applications (SANPA 2004), pp. 1–11 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Kumar, D.: Performance analysis of energy efficient clustering protocols for maximising lifetime of wireless sensor networks. IET Wirel. Sensor Syst. 4(1), 9–16 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Elbhiri, B., Saadane, R., El Fkihi, S, Aboutajdine, D.: Developed distributed energy-efficient clustering (DDEEC) for heterogeneous wireless sensor networks. In: 5th International Symposium on I/V Communications and Mobile Network (ISVC) (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Saini, P., Sharma, A.K.: E-DEEC- enhanced distributed energy efficient clustering scheme for heterogeneous WSN. In: 2010 1st International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Grid Computing (PDGC - 2010) (2010)Google Scholar